Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,992 Posts
I don't think governments should be subsidising people to buy cars full stop.

·
Vendor
45,988 Posts
They help fund new insulation in old houses here, so why not help pay towards making old vehicles more fuel efficient? New spark plugs & lambda sensors would do more for the nation's fuel consumption than the odd electric hybrid.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't there a better way to do that though? Maybe just drop the sales tax on replacement parts if they've qualified (under some as yet unknown measure) as being environmentally beneficial? Or maybe enforce better fleet fuel efficiency standards across the governmental jurisdiction?

To be honest, I've never really gotten the impression that any of our provincial governments (no matter the party in power) really care about improving fuel efficiency or cleaning up the environment. They've all been pretty lax, even the ones that have brought in programs like the e-car rebate or the smog testing (this last program is more of a cash-grab than anything else). It really just feels like paying lip service to problems rather than developing real solutions.

·
Registered
14,992 Posts
They help fund new insulation in old houses here, so why not help pay towards making old vehicles more fuel efficient? New spark plugs & lambda sensors would do more for the nation's fuel consumption than the odd electric hybrid.
When I'm in power, you can be my transport minister. This whole get rid of the old stuff and buy incredibly resource intensive new stuff thing does my swede in.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The main reason these schemes are al laughable is because for
the most part they are set up and run by politicians and
their special interest paid for advisers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts