Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
I already pay for fast internet. If I wasn't getting it I wouldn't pay for it.

Labour love taxing things.. Especially things we need/enjoy. (Bastewards)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I'm sure there are all sorts of gotchas lurking in this
revenue stream prospectus report.

Did I hear some **** on the radio this morning saying that
high speed internet access was as vital as clean water and electricity supplies?

Tell that to the swathes of the world's population who have to drink dirty water! :mad:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think they tax the phones by VAT on the bills :mad:

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
I always forget that mobilephone companies hardly ever include VAT when giving you the price of a monthly tariff. Been caught out twice by this ffs.:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always forget that mobilephone companies hardly ever include VAT when giving you the price of a monthly tariff. Been caught out twice by this ffs.:rolleyes:
Dont forget the landline as well so you get taxed twince!!!!

so its yet another stealth tax :mad:

so who wants to **** Mr Brown?

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
I've always had the opinion that you get taxed on money you earn before it hits your bank account so why should you be taxed again on using said money if you've already been taxed for the privilege of trying to earn it? its not fair but there ya go.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've always had the opinion that you get taxed on money you earn before it hits your bank account so why should you be taxed again on using said money if you've already been taxed for the privilege of trying to earn it? its not fair but there ya go.
I agree with you fella :(

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
I agree too.

You get taxed on what you earn,
Then get taxed again on your house as council tax (from the money you have paid tax on)
You then get taxed on most things you buy from the money you have left.

You get taxed on savings interest
If you leave more then a certain amount of money to your offspring they get taxed on that too.

Plus many others I have probably forgotten.

It probably works out that 75% of what you earn ends up in the governments coffers.

Good value?

Who knows...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well I think they tax the phones by VAT on the bills :mad:
exactly what I was going to say ... surely it would be unusal for uk.gov to tax things twice ... oh hold on petrol duty and vat :rant:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
exactly what I was going to say ... surely it would be unusal for uk.gov to tax things twice ... oh hold on petrol duty and vat :rant:
What i find funny is that they tax the duty side of the petrol cost too :lol:

So basically they are taxing the tax

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I wonder if this will effect cable telephone too? One of the main reasons for switching to Virgin was to ditch the line rental charge.

It does seem a bit off being taxed so that BT can improve its lines, they have had the opportunity for years to do this but have been more interested in bringing in profits instead. Maybe this will push people to look elsewhere for thier telephone needs and pull down the monopoly BT enjoys.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The fact is our country is way behind on broadband speeds, and bband is the future for business and therefore economy, as well as our own entertainment.

If we expect BT to cough up the money and install a new fibre infrastructure then we'll end up with the same monopoly situation and crap service that BT are famed for. If we each pay 50p then the infrastructure can be updated, competition can be open and fair, and we can all benefit.

Minor problem.......the government currently think 2mps is an acceptable speed for broadband, for the year 2012.

They should be aiming for 100mbps minimum.

I want my 50p back.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wouldn't be so bad if you knew that the money would be spent on improving communications and connectivity rather than plug the holes created by backing the banks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It wouldn't be so bad if you knew that the money would be spent on improving communications and connectivity rather than plug the holes created by backing the banks.
I agree and they could just end up doing that :mad::mad:

Like we pay road tax and that money does not even get used on improving the roads :(

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
I am generally dead set against taxes like this but for once I for one am happy to pay this £6.00 per year PROVIDING they do use it for it's intended purpose.

My BB is currently running at about 900Kbps, after months of running at just under 2Mbps, this is on a 10Mb package. I would happily pay more to get faster speeds and do agree that no one else should be expected to pay for this.

In reality of course this is not possible. The problem is the old infrastructure of copper string will not support a high speed at my location and no matter who I pay or the amount I pay I will struggle to get 2Mbps at my location, the only way to achieve better speeds is to modernise the infrastructure. As a customer there is no way I can get this done and here where I live there is absolutely no alternative but to use the BT existing infrastructure. I am discounting wi fi as I don't believe that would be cost effective for me.

The only real answer is that the infrastructure HAS to be updated. Now the contentious issue of how this is to be paid for. Perhaps people with existing high speed connections on their landlines should be exempt as they would be paying for something that they already have. Conversely WHO paid for these existing high speed connections ? Err, I think I may have made a contribution through my telephone bills in the past.

Obviously people who don't need this high speed or those who already have it do not want to pay for this and I understand this. Sadly the world doesn't work like this. I too pay tax on tax, I'm especially aggrieved about full rate tax on my savings and vocational pension, which I have already paid full rate tax on but it seems that I'm stuck with this. Luckily I rarely have to use the NHS but I do not begrudge paying into this, it's an essential service. Is High Speed BB essential ? Probably not, but it is very nice to have.

Personally if I could pay extra per month and have a reliable connection at even 2Mbps I would and I would not complain or ask anyone else for any contribution to this. Sadly this can't be done, the whole system has to be upgraded and somehow this has to be paid for, and on a huge scale at that.

C'mon you guys who have good connections, I'm happy for you so please don't deny a huge proportion of the population this facility. Personally I'm dead set against any of my taxes going into the pocket of worksheet layabouts so they can buy more cider but I can't do anything about this. If you are against this £6.00 a year tax perhaps you can be consoled a little by the thought that this is a worthwhile project and not just money been peed against a wall by some yobbo.

All very altruistic thoughts here of course, I really don't expect this project to actually work so I'm looking forward to many more years of crawling around t'internet at a snails pace.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dont get me wrong i hate that its another tax and its such a stupid one aswell, surley the phone companies who are going to make all the money from these lines should pay but ots only 6 squid a year so i will like the masses bendover to be shafted again

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
dont get me wrong i hate that its another tax and its such a stupid one aswell, surley the phone companies who are going to make all the money from these lines should pay but ots only 6 squid a year so i will like the masses bendover to be shafted again
and do you think that phone companies will just reduce their margins ... or just pass the cost onto customers :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the difference of what they will do and what they should do is separated by the fact that im not a shareholder

but yes obviously we as the public will always pay for it, just needs to be sold in the right package and it wont get peoples backs up, maybe they thought nobody would give a **** about £6 a year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts