Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those fancy metal holders with the AR logo on the back. The back is held on by six little allen-key screws.

Just changed my tax disc and guess what happened. Yep, that's right - one of the little screws evaded my grip and dropped into the windscreen vent:rant: :rant:

If it rattles I'll be extremely cheesed off:cry:

V

·
0 Posts
having had plenty of these, may i offer you a tip, get a magnet and hold it against the allen key in your palm while undoing the screw, when undone, the screw should cling to the end of the allen key, always kept my hand there as well just incase

i have now got the same sort of holder as you but with one brilliant difference it doesnt have any allen bolts in the back just a slot in the side so you can slide the plastic cover and tax disc in and out.

N

·
0 Posts
Yup, I find not paying road tax to be very effective
and leads to a less cluttered windscreen. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
I have one of those fancy metal holders with the AR logo on the back. The back is held on by six little allen-key screws.

Just changed my tax disc and guess what happened. Yep, that's right - one of the little screws evaded my grip and dropped into the windscreen vent:rant: :rant:

If it rattles I'll be extremely cheesed off:cry:
I take it ti was the one you bought at SICD last year?

What a sppoky coincidence. I did exactly the same, bought one at SICD and last month I dropped one of the screws down the vent. :eek:

Damn screws are aluminium, I think, so no amount of poking round with a magnet will get it back.

It doesn't rattle though, so could be worse.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take it ti was the one you bought at SICD last year?

What a sppoky coincidence. I did exactly the same, bought one at SICD and last month I dropped one of the screws down the vent. :eek:

Damn screws are aluminium, I think, so no amount of poking round with a magnet will get it back.

It doesn't rattle though, so could be worse.
Yup, that's the one. What a memory Lesley:thumbs:

Doesn't seem to rattle, so I can relax a bit.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
When undoing screws etc, place a towel or similar underneath said
screw in order to catch it if you drop it. Close vents, holes etc or
bung them up to prevent items falling in.

Do not rush apparantly simple jobs. It takes many times longer to
correct a c0ck up than to do a job properly.

Bad luck Fraser :(

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I alway put a thin cloth over the vents to stop this happening.

The newer ones look the same but have a slot to slide the discs in:cool:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The new ones just screw into each other. No more miniscule allen screws to chase around.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When undoing screws etc, place a towel or similar underneath said
screw in order to catch it if you drop it. Close vents, holes etc or
bung them up to prevent items falling in.

Do not rush apparantly simple jobs. It takes many times longer to
correct a c0ck up than to do a job properly.

Bad luck Fraser :(
Not bad luck, just clumsy fingers (I knew the risks and was trying to be careful). My dad was a mechanic and I used to help him with his work sometimes. He quickly realised that this wasn't a good idea and encouraged me to do something with my life that didn't involve using my hands:lol:

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
the irony of reading this, just thismorning came out to the car to find the alloy tax disc holder had fell of the window and the sticky pads are full of carpet/crap ffs.:lol:

Looks like i'll be needing that spares kit:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts