Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on re-assembling Tarquini this weekend. He's had new head-gaskets and some other tidying up work in the back of the engine room. :)

I have re-fitted the heads, set the cam-timing and attached the manifolds, heat shields and most of the fuel injection system.. but as I have tightened but not torqued the heads down to the proper torques yet, I left the rocker covers off for the time being.

So, this weekend I was assembling and re-fitting the bits and pieces that are attached to the bulkhead, as I'd removed a lot of bits to make lifting the head (and exhaust manifold, which was "stuck" to it then) easier.

To stop bits falling into the engine, I had a big cloth covering the whole rear head... but obviously as I worked at the back of the engine I was leaning on it and it shifted a bit.

When I was fitting the steering fluid reservoir, the bracket slipped and, as it's under tension (being curved) it flicked the M6 bolt out at speed. It either fell down the back of the engine (around the oil filter) or, with Ronaldo-like accuracy it found it's way into that little gap that had opened up between the cloth and the edge of the head.. in which case it fell into my motor! :eek:

I stuck a magnet down there.. and also some feelers.. as far as they'll go but I can neither see it or feel it, never mind extract it. I jiggled them about but still no joy.

I'm so narked... anywhere else in the head, it would be resting in the bottom of one of the oil pools.. reachable by hand.. but no. It found the one spot on the whole head that didn't have a cloth over it.. and under there, there just happened to be the deepest oilway in the whole engine (the slot one, by the oil pump).

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Anyway, assuming the beast did fall down there (however flukey or unlucky, I'm about 70% certain that it did) does anyone know how I can fish it out?

I'm hoping, seeing as a magnet can't reach it, that it can work its way into the sump (sump-off job being preferable to dismantling the heads again). Otherwise.. where does that big slot oilway go? I really don't want to take the rear cylinder bank off again (and I'm actually not even sure that if I did I would then be able to see that bolt and extract it).

Any ideas might save me shooting the beast.. :(

Ralf S.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
surely not! how much time did you spend searching 'outside' the engine to find it? on the ground, caught in a crevice at the back of the engine or firewall?

good luck!

:)

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aye! Not much.. It was getting dark by then and I reckon the little barst' isn't going anywhere for the time being, wherever it is...

What I really need is an endoscope so I can peer into the oilway... but I'll have a good search round the crevices.. you never know.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:eek:

No sign of the little f*****. :(

If I put my ear to the oil gallery I can hear an echo of mischievous laughter....

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Doh! Did a similar thing on my Strat rep recently. One of the cam cover bolts. Spent ages and ages and ages looking, couldn't find it. Started to wonder the same things - will it fall all the way into the sump or jam up and block an oil return?? Decided it would reach the bottom as that slot runs straight down to the sump, eventually find it's way past the windage tray and down to the very bottom, at which point it can do no harm. Worst-case would be if it got caught by a big-end whizzing by - it could possibly end up wedged betwixt rod/crank and the wall of the liner or block and do some damage...so I worried some more.

Then I found the bugger hiding in a crevice!!

TBH...keep looking mate.....you won't rest until you've got it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I take it the magnet you used was on of the telescopic jobs?

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aye! I used a telescopic one and a flexible one.. rooted around for ages and I can't see or feel the f*** .. but he's in there.. I can feel a disturbance in the Force! :)

I'll lob some oil down there and see if I can wash it into the sump... Luckily (?) the exhaust is loose at the moment (as I had the mainfolds off) so it won't be tooooo much extra chore to have the sump off, if draining the oil doesn't let it out.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Aye! I used a telescopic one and a flexible one.. rooted around for ages and I can't see or feel the f*** .. but he's in there.. I can feel a disturbance in the Force! :)

Ralf S.
:lol: Your nuts. I hope it works out without the head needing to come off. May the force be with you.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts