Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking of improving my car's braking performance. (it is a Thai assembled 156 2.0TS). There is some fade on the stock system, but I do not think it is a result of wear and tear because my car is only 8 months old and I have never been to the track.

Has anyone changed their rotors to TarOx, Red Dot or DBA Kangaroo Paw? Which is better?

If possible I will just change the rotors and continue to use the stock pads. If absolutely necessary, I will consider changing the pads + brake lines.

Cheers
cooljazz

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Hi CoolJazz,
The most highly rated pad at the moment looks to be Ferodo DS2500, the part number for the front pads is: FCP1052H.
These will work fine with your std discs, providing the discs are ok.
My discs & pads last about 30000miles (48000km) which takes me 2-years.
The vented front discs are 22mm thick when new and the wear limit is 20mm.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I presume you are interested in something like this. These pictures are pasenger car replacement discs and not one performance discs such as the DBA 4000 series.
with Kangaroo paw ventilation

Unfortunately I do not personally know how good they are :(
But I believe they are very good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by David C:
<strong>Hi CoolJazz,
The most highly rated pad at the moment looks to be Ferodo DS2500, the part number for the front pads is: FCP1052H.
These will work fine with your std discs, providing the discs are ok.
My discs & pads last about 30000miles (48000km) which takes me 2-years.
The vented front discs are 22mm thick when new and the wear limit is 20mm.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Will just changing the pads eliminate the fade?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes those are the pictures.... just wondering if any 156/147 owners have used stuffs like TarOx, Red Dot or DBA.

J

·
0 Posts
The stock pads on Thai assembled 156s are appalling. It is a common complaint that the brakes feel soft and uninspiring. They are locally sourced I believe and do not get better with age.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Julian Lord:
<strong>The stock pads on Thai assembled 156s are appalling. It is a common complaint that the brakes feel soft and uninspiring. They are locally sourced I believe and do not get better with age.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does this mean that changing the pads will suffice?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Change the pads !!!!!!

The fade is caused by the pads not the discs.

You will be amazed by the improvement of fitting Ferodo DS2500 with standard discs. I have used the Ferodo pads and didn’t get any fade during heavy road use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pascs:
<strong>Change the pads !!!!!!

The fade is caused by the pads not the discs.

You will be amazed by the improvement of fitting Ferodo DS2500 with standard discs. I have used the Ferodo pads and didn’t get any fade during heavy road use.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well that is a much cheaper option than the disc. Any site address?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Maybe Wisrute can give you a more local site where you can get Ferodo pads.

The only sites I know are in the UK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thai assembled 156 ?
I read somewhere that it was planned but did not know they followed through

Do they only assumable the 156 or do they also assemble any other models 147 seems obvious.

Do they export Thai assembled cars elsewhere? if so where? and if not does the Thai market warrant local assembly?

Interesting

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sparki:
<strong>Thai assembled 156 ?

Do they only assumable the 156 or do they also assemble any other models 147 seems obvious.

Do they export Thai assembled cars elsewhere? if so where? and if not does the Thai market warrant local assembly?

Interesting</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I stand corrected, but I think Thailand only assembled the 156 and they are sold in Thailand. Malaysia and Singapore got some their cars from Thailand for about 1 year or so. Now the agent in Singapore are getting their Alfas from Italy.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sparki:
<strong>Thai assembled 156 ?

Interesting</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The assembly line belongs to GM plant, Fiat had an agreement with them to do final assembly from parts imported from Italy (a small percentage were locally sourced, like the poor brake pads). The engine and gearbox come fully built. I believe the assembly was for 156 Selespeed (minor change model with trip computer) only.

The cars were for regional export as mentioned above. Our market is quite small with only 400 - 600 156s around, and no more than 10 (imported) 147s.

And yes, changing the brake pads will help reduce fading. The set up I'm running (Tar-Ox front discs, MQ pads, braided-SS lines) have proven to work well even on track a few months back. They work with 16" wheels or spare wheel too. wink

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Wisrute, you mean you only changed the front discs to TarOx, front pads to MQ and kept the rear stock? Is this okay? It will save me quite a bit of money to keep the rear stock.

Cheers
cooljazz

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CoolJazz:
<strong>Hi Wisrute, you mean you only changed the front discs to TarOx, front pads to MQ and kept the rear stock? Is this okay? It will save me quite a bit of money to keep the rear stock.

Cheers
cooljazz</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">CoolJazz, I've changed only the front discs to Tar-Ox, but changed all the pads and brake lines.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
You can change just the front pads if you like but you should get better balanced braking if you replace the front and rear pads.

You could always try the fronts first and see if you are happy with the improvement. I doubt the rear pads will have much overall effect since they are not used that much compared to the front.

IMO pad choice is critical. There are a lot of pads out there that are not very good and only a few that are a significant improvement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts