Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that if Alfa want £160 for OEM front discs I may as well get some performance discs instead.

I'm strangely drawn to the Tarox G88 (£189 + £9p&p) but have also had the Blackdiamond Combi recommended (£137 + £10p&p - they must use a nice box :D ). Whichever I fit will be with Ferodo DS Performance pads.

So over to you guys. What would you go for?

Tarox G88

Blackdiamond

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Slotted discs are VERY noisy.... And I mean VERY NOISY.... Go for crossdrilled ones....

You'd thank me afterwards, or if you go for slotted ones, you'd be thinking of me every time you brake. And THATS not a nice thought :D :D :D

-- Hoygs

·
AO Silver Member, Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09
1,315 Posts
Agreed with Hoy. The grooooooved disks on my 75 make as much noise as I think metal pads should!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Hoygaard said:
Slotted discs are VERY noisy.... And I mean VERY NOISY.
I have been running G88 discs on both our cars for some time now, and I love them. The noise is there when braking hard (or late braking), but "normal" braking isn't so different from OEM. IMHO, the noise does add to the experience. ;)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Wisrute B. said:
I have been running G88 discs on both our cars for some time now, and I love them. The noise is there when braking hard (or late braking), but "normal" braking isn't so different from OEM. IMHO, the noise does add to the experience. ;)
The type of pad will also contribute to the sound - a harder pad obviously making more noise. I once had race pads on my previous grooved discs and these were so loud that when braking hard you thought the brake pad had worn through to the metal. Hard braking became a unpleasant experience which defeated the point of the pads.

I have Brembo grooved discs now and these are slightly quieter than the previous grooved discs I had. The advantage of grooved discs is they clean the surface of the pad when you are braking hard removing used brake dust.

If you don't need that extra bit of braking then go for drilled discs - these provide extra cooling and some pad cleaning as well as looking really good.

You should also go for Ferodo DS2500 pads as these appear to be the best for road use - the transformation over OEM is trully amazing.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been running with DS2500s but thought that as I was going to have to change pads and discs together this time I would go for a better disc and save a few £££ on the pads by trying DS Performance. With the mileage I do it will only be 8-9 months before I need new pads again anyway.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wisrute B. said:
Wis, you say the noise is there when braking hard. Are we talking NOISE or just noise...... :confused:

I want to improve the braking AND deglaze the pads to stop the dreaded squeal. I'm leaning towards the blackdiamond Combis due to the drilling and grooves at present.......

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've got the DS2500 with black diamond disks. Don't think I will go for any other disks other than brembo's next time. The black diamonds are almost goosed and the ds2500 still have plenty wear and they were changed at the same time.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
No Dosh said:
I've been running with DS2500s but thought that as I was going to have to change pads and discs together this time I would go for a better disc and save a few £££ on the pads by trying DS Performance. With the mileage I do it will only be 8-9 months before I need new pads again anyway.
What kind of mileage are you doing?

IMO grooved discs will INCREASE pad wear so you would be better to go for standard Alfa discs or at most drilled discs.

Bought my first set of grooved / drilled discs from Hormann Motorsport and these lasted very well - don't know which make they were though

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I've gone for the Black Diamond Cross-Drilled. Should be with me middle of next week.

Mileage wise, I've covered 43,000 miles in the last 20 months, so roughly 25,000 miles per annum (but it is likely to be higher this year).

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
No Dosh said:
you say the noise is there when braking hard. Are we talking NOISE or just noise...... :confused:
It is a little louder when braking hard, though I think it's part noise, part vibration (from grooved surface scraping the surface of the pads). Is that what you call NOISE? :D

Well, I think it boils down to personal preference, really. As long as you're happy with them, grooved or cross-drilled, that's what matters! ;)

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
These are tempting me now, £132 isnt bad for crossdrilled and I can order my ferodo pads from them too and one delivery charge, should last ages seeing as I do under 3000miles a year.
let us know what you think of them nodosh :D

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do Alfajack. Should get the discs mid week so I'll fit them Friday morning (got the day off). Pads already sat on the side, ready to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts