Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Must be some crud from the system or the coating on the calipers has got stuck between the nipple and seat. Could try slackening them off a bit more than usual while bleeding and hope it dislodges. New nipples I take it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New calipers new discs new coilovers
Might have solved it by extra bleeding , will keep you posted
hope to be on the GTV run in Kent this week end if pass MOT tomorrow
4 years off the road!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well after 2 months of hard work , she finally passed the MOT , the ABS no longer work so had to improvise with a very good Alfa technician (Alfanatics in Fleet ), the brakes are so good who need ABS, and the straight through exhaust sound brilliant
Had a few hiccups this week end but a good run to Portsmouth and the Hindhead tunnel in 3rd gear was glorious
so finally after over 4 years off the road it's back,
next week 1500 miles to the south of France , should be fun !!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Whereabouts in France are you heading off to?

My Spider is off to the south in August. Cant wait, its our annual trip. Were going just south from the ardeche.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we are going to the Gorges du Tarn ,a small village called st Enimie
very twisty and fun road unless you do not like hight
the round trip is about 1600 miles , in a v6 turbo you need a mortgage
I added new pictures on my profile with the tarox caliper etc . enjoy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gtv latest

we never made it to France with the Alfa as something went very wrong with the electric and immobiliser
a new alternator and replacing thev ignition barel with a new starting push button and 5 weeks in the garage ,it was back in september on the road and 20 miles later and a jumped cambelt!!!! it is now a full engine rebuilt
so we will go all the way with new engine and gear box ,new mappable ECU ,new turbo etc. and at least 350 BHP .we will be back but it might take a while

·
Registered
780 Posts
Does the TB suffer from the same diff shortcomings as the 3.0L V6? If so, I hope you find a suitable LSD (not sure the Quaife/Q2 will work?) if you want to run 350bhp. But please do keep us posted! Really interested in seeing how this one pans out!

+1 to A6 as well! Good on you OP for continuing with the car despite the bank balance destruction! :thumbs:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
to your answer A6 I will upload some more pictures this week end
so far in the last year I had a full respray with a new rear bumper
Tarox 6 pots calipers at the front with 330 mm discs and tarox rear brake kits and new brake pipes
the wheels were refurb and resprayed
the suspension were changed to coilover
the strudbrace is ultra racing as well as chassis braces under the car
all hoses wewre changed to samco
new distributor and cap and 8 mm magnecor HT leads and new spark plugs
full service
new expansion tank and evans fluid (very good stuff but very expensive)
new alternator + lots of electric work with new starter switch and button
etc etc
all together £11k and still the bloody thing does not work

the garage who will be doing the engine and gear box and all ancillary is CFM in Reading
another £11k for the job with a few extra
I am looking for a six speed gear box if anyone has one let me know and yes the split diff will be quaife
the turbo is to be upgraded as well and possibly a front mounted intercooler
will keep you posted but you might have to wait a while

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to your answer A6 I will upload some more pictures this week end
so far in the last year I had a full respray with a new rear bumper
Tarox 6 pots calipers at the front with 330 mm discs and tarox rear brake kits and new brake pipes
the wheels were refurb and resprayed
the suspension were changed to coilover
the strudbrace is ultra racing as well as chassis braces under the car
all hoses wewre changed to samco
new distributor and cap and 8 mm magnecor HT leads and new spark plugs
full service
new expansion tank and evans fluid (very good stuff but very expensive)
new alternator + lots of electric work with new starter switch and button
etc etc
all together £11k and still the bloody thing does not work

the garage who will be doing the engine and gear box and all ancillary is CFM in Reading
another £11k for the job with a few extra
I am looking for a six speed gear box if anyone has one let me know and yes the split diff will be quaife
the turbo is to be upgraded as well and possibly a front mounted intercooler
will keep you posted but you might have to wait a while
so the engine came out last week for a full rebuilt with anew hybrid ballbearing Turbo, new intercooler front mounted , new oil cooler the Cat sytem will be replaced and fully mappable ECU etc
in the mean time , I am changing the calipers in the rear for 4 pots from high specs motorsport as they are the only company who makes rear 4 pots caliper with hand brake.
I need a made to measure handbrake cable .if anyone knows a manufacturer ,let me know
will upload pictures of a engine-less GTV this weekend
lots of work still to do to put the thing back on the road but we will get there

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ditto on the 4 pot rear caliper conversion, I'd really like to hear and see more about that.

Are you using bigger discs? The only conversion I've seen is the tarox one that re-uses the original caliper and bigger discs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
so the engine came out last week for a full rebuilt with anew hybrid ballbearing Turbo, new intercooler front mounted , new oil cooler the Cat sytem will be replaced and fully mappable ECU etc
in the mean time , I am changing the calipers in the rear for 4 pots from high specs motorsport as they are the only company who makes rear 4 pots caliper with hand brake.
I need a made to measure handbrake cable .if anyone knows a manufacturer ,let me know
lots of work still to do to put the thing back on the road but we will get there
Any further update on the brakes.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What size rotors/discs are you going to fit on the rear? Are you going to get the Tarox 300mmx11mm rear big brake conversion and then get some calipers from Hi Spec, that would seem the ultimate?

Tarox Rear Big Brake Kit - Compact OE for Alfa Romeo GTV

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the front calipers and discs are Tarox 320 mm and 6 pots so are the rear discs (tarox conversion but it looks a bit naff with standard calipers and hispecs motorsport are the only people doing a four pots with hand brake facility (cannot use hydraulic hand brake as it will not pass the MOT ) then you just have to find a good engineer to make the brackets .will post more later
http://www.hispeccalipers.co.uk/b4sva140.html[/URL]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts