Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know of some really good tar remover??

I got my alfa in decemeber and although i wash it weekly i have never got round to removing the tar splattered along the lower parts of the car.

Whats the best way to remove the tar with out damaging the lacquer?
I bought some turtle wax gear but that seems to be crap... mind you the tar might have been on for quite some time :rolleyes: :confused:

I have seen valaters use a thinners type fluid which softened the tar and it comes off with a few rubs... but it cant be thinners though.... surely?? (mind you the valeters weren't the best set up)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?? honestly?
interesting.... mght be worth a shot on a small inconspicuous area...

i see your from cumbria... where abouts are you from?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Clay car is perfect for this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As a former pro-valeter, I used Autoglym tar and adhesive remover and swore by it..dunno if you can buy it in the shops, but if not, white spirit or wd-40 will shift tar spots...just be careful if you have side skirts as it might if you used loads soften the glue, but highly unlikely, and no it won't harm paint or lacquer
Cheers Rich

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I still have a chuckle when the department I was working in ordered some sticky label adhesive remover with a delightful lemon scent. White spirit with a spot of lemon juice, at a price?:):

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I wouldn't use clay to start off with. Complete waste of money and effort IMHO. You will ruin the clay.

Above products are all good. I use Meguiars Tar and Bug Remover on a soft cloth.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
White spirit does the job, so why pay the extra for a label and brand name? Regardless the area needs protecting with a decent polish after the tar has been removed?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks all very helpful..... will do some experimenting :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice one.. thats got to count for something... was in halfords and couldnt see any specific tar remover... half the time though my missus says my eyes are painted on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
AG's intensive tar remover does the biz. Saying that, SRP does too. Dab on, leave for a minute & polish off:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts