Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my 146 2.0 ti this morning for a 150mile run and it's been tappety since. Checked oil and all ok. Is there anything else I should check or is it usual ? :(

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you tell where the sound comes from?
What's your service history like? Belts, water pump etc...
Timing belt done last september at 48k, not sure about the water pump. It's the top of the engine and sounds like old fashioned tappets hence the title !

·
Registered
40,038 Posts
Good question as it was before I bought it, is there any way i can tell ?
Normally if it has been done the seller would have made a point of telling you, but if the ticking is coming from under the oil filler cap it is quite likely the variator, as that is where it lives.

The variator often also gives diesel like noises whrn the car is started when it is on its way out, however when it gets very worn it can rattle or tick all of the time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it worth changing just the variator and can it be done without doing all the belts too ?

·
Registered
40,038 Posts
Is it worth changing just the variator and can it be done without doing all the belts too ?
The belts need to come off to change it, and it is bad practice to refit old belts.

However it won't cause any damage, so you should be able to wait until the next belt change is due. You will have a slight loss of performance (normally midrange torque) and fuel economy with a failed variator however.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The belts need to come off to change it, and it is bad practice to refit old belts.

However it won't cause any damage, so you should be able to wait until the next belt change is due. You will have a slight loss of performance (normally midrange torque) and fuel economy with a failed variator however.
The MPG is pretty low so I guess that's why ! It'll have to wait 2 more years now. :thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts