Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a clacking sound on my 1995 1.8 8v of late and have been told by a friend that it sounds like the tappets need adjusting. As far as I know the tappets are meant to be self adjusting. Do I need to get them adjusted, replaced or should I just leave them alone?

While I can live with the noise for now (sounds a bit like a diesel), it is a bit annoying and I don't really want to have a massive repair bill at the end of the day if things go pop. Anyone with any similar experience.

Rgds

ps My car has 40k miles (64k km) on the clock.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it sounds like a diesel it could be your cam variator but it doesn't have to, it will be expensive if it is

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checkout www.alfa155.co.uk and have a look in the tech info section. There's a bit about the cam variator there and a .wav file too so you can hear what it sounds like when it's goosed. It gives you something to compare with.

Hope that's of use.

J

p.s. henry... ok?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all, arn't the 8v engines different to the 16v. the cam featured on henry's site refer to the 16v
not the 8v & i havent heared the 8v variator problems before as i dont think they have the same one as the 16v's .

Cheers PHIL GLOVER

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys
Now, look BEK155 has got a 1,8 8V with solid tappets, adjust with simms.
BEK, a little tapping noise will not ruin the tappets or cam right away, but you might have some tappets that are to close (will not make a noise) and thus burn the valves. You or a mechanic can check the valve clearance with a gauge (or tappet feeler). My Owners Manual doesn’t give the clearance for any model but from memory (from my former 75 2,0 single spark) I think it is: Inlet 0,4 mm, Exhaust 0,5 mm +/- 0,1 mm both; engine cold.
Hope this will help you, but, better check the clearance figures.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the 2L 16V TS and had the cam variator done on mine recently and this fixed the noise. However, I think I'm right in saying that the 8V engines DO NOT have a cam variator although the noise you're describing does sound like the valve-gear. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going through the various posts, I've learnt that the 8v does not have cam variators, so that is certainly not the noise. Guess I'll take her in this weekend to get it checked out by a mechanic.

Anyone know how major a tappet adjustment/replacement is???

Just wondering whether a weak battery could lead to these kind of problems. My idle gets a bit twitchy every now and then. Of course getting the air intake valve cleaned helps but not for very long. Noticed my instrument panel lights getting dimmer when I play music real loud at night and turn on the indicators. Hope my alternator isn't about to fail.

Thanks all for your contributions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news, got a quote for the tappet tightening job. US$30. The guy's an ex-Alfa man and has been on his own for yonks and does a great job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys
The 8 valve engine does have a variator, designed by Alfa (not Fiat) ages ago ('84). This variator, of course, never play up.
The chain, hovever, can be noise, but the tensior can be tightend or replaced. Clever, isn't it.
Alfisti regards
Erik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts