Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to Alfas - got a series 3 33 in pretty good condition a couple of weeks ago. It's the 1.3V model.

I have a question about the tappets - how do you access them for inspection/adjustment? Or are these hydraulic tappets? If I understand correctly only the series 3 1.7l has hydraulic tappets - or am I wrong? The camshaft retainers don't have any covers that can be removed from above!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
i think that all 33 after S1 had hydraulic tappets , especcially all with injection. Only earlier models with single carb and the Alfaromeo covers had mechanical....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Most S2 33's have mech tappets exept the 1,7. They came with both. As far as I know all the S3 have hydr tappets and injektion. It might be different in other countries, but thats the way it is here :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
it's very ease to spot the difference
if your engine had removable valvecovers, they're mechanical, if the camhousing is a closed box, they're hydraulic

mechanical were on all S1&2 33's, except the 1.7 versions from '88
all s3 33's have hydraulic

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - the valvecovers are not removable so hydraulic tappets - one thing less to adjust! :)

My 33 isn't with injection even though it's an S3 - has a pair of DRLA40s, and knowing the previous owner well enough I'm sure he didn't swap them in the last sixteen years!

·
Registered
19 Posts
While we're on the subject, (ahem!!) I have a 1987 1.7 series 2 engine with mechanical tappets - does anybody know if it's possible to change the heads and convert it to the hydraulic tappets?

Are there any complications due to the extra oil supply required?

Cheers,
Frank J.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Why you want to do something like that? I think that mech are better especially in high revving conditions with minimum change of damage than hydraulic.
The only disadvantaged is that they are not self-adjustable and require a little more attention..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Why you want to do something like that? I think that mech are better especially in high revving conditions with minimum change of damage than hydraulic.
The only disadvantaged is that they are not self-adjustable and require a little more attention..
Totally agree with Greek. Another plus is that if you ever feel the urge to do a bit of tuning, you can get the race camshafts :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason for the question is that I acquired a couple of 1.7 hydraulic heads a little while ago (very cheap on ebay) and wondered if it was worth my while keeping them.

I don't have a particular problem with the mechanical tappets, I just wondered if it was an easy swap, particularly as it looks like the heads are going to have to come off to replace the gaskets.

Thanks for your observations though, I will keep them in mind.

Cheers!:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts