Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came from my GTV V6 which had the beautifully smooth V6 Busso probably the most famous V6 of all time.

But after selling that and buying a more modern GQV which has MORE Power than the V6 I was surprised at how crazy the Turbo is compared to the V6.

In my V6 I would have a smooth power delivery all the way to red line. But now in the GQV there is nothing off the line then still nothing - wait a second longer then all of a sudden ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE and the car turns into an uncontrolled Rocket !

There is alot of Power there that is very impressive even though it is not as smooth as the V6 but how do you handle all that power all in one go ?

I have tried using different techniques like using the N mode which seems to smooth out the power delivery and also just being more moderate on the pedal in D

What are peoples tips on this or is it just the way it is with Turbos its either on or its off like a Jeckle and Hide scenario.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What I think you feel at first is a turbo lag which is totally normal if you are cruising. If you cruise and hit the gas hard, it takes a bit o time for pressure to accumulate on the exhaust and start spinning the turbo. Then you get hit by a lot of torque developed even from low rpm followed by a lot of power once you hit 4500+ rpm. At 1st you are amazed by the torque, then by the power.
Now, try running the car with higher rpm and you will see that power is more controlled as the turbo is already engaged and response is top notch. Everything get's down to the way you feel like driving.

On the GTV I do not think you had that much torque from low rpms and because of this the power is delivered more linear. Easier to tame. Didn't hit you with the hammer like the turbo does.

I think you just got to get used to it and I do not think that the GQV is hard to drive. I am running the car only on Dynamic as N is total crap on my 2011 model. The difference in sensitivity in acceleration pedal is frustrating. If you drive a lot in N, you will have trouble going easy on the throttle in D mode. If you drive a lot in D mode, you will have problems when pulling of cause you ain't giving enough gas. It's frustrating that the pedal reacts totally different and you have to readjust your driving.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I think you feel at first is a turbo lag which is totally normal if you are cruising. If you cruise and hit the gas hard, it takes a bit o time for pressure to accumulate on the exhaust and start spinning the turbo. Then you get hit by a lot of torque developed even from low rpm followed by a lot of power once you hit 4500+ rpm. At 1st you are amazed by the torque, then by the power.
Now, try running the car with higher rpm and you will see that power is more controlled as the turbo is already engaged and response is top notch. Everything get's down to the way you feel like driving.

On the GTV I do not think you had that much torque from low rpms and because of this the power is delivered more linear. Easier to tame. Didn't hit you with the hammer like the turbo does.

I think you just got to get used to it and I do not think that the GQV is hard to drive. I am running the car only on Dynamic as N is total crap on my 2011 model. The difference in sensitivity in acceleration pedal is frustrating. If you drive a lot in N, you will have trouble going easy on the throttle in D mode. If you drive a lot in D mode, you will have problems when pulling of cause you ain't giving enough gas. It's frustrating that the pedal reacts totally different and you have to readjust your driving.
Well in my V6 there was plenty of power or torque off the line from zero revs. I could potter around in 2nd or 3rd gear in the city easily with almost no revs.

I tried the same with the GQV (mine is 2011 also) and it just hates anything with low revs and I must use a lower gear all the time than in the V6. This is surprising since on paper the GQV has more power than the V6 but in reality I cant use it till higher up in the rev range.

So I guess thats the way it will be just use more revs then something I will get used to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
More revs is mandatory for turbo engines. I do recommend you lose the low rev habit from a normal aspirated engine as in long term you will damage your turbo.

The higher power of the GQV is due to the turbo. Turbo's advantages are canceled at low revs, thus you end up with a moderate engine. You cannot compare it with the 3.2L Busso. This is why at low revs the GQV is actually lazier than the GTV as it laks a lot of power. Once turbo kicks in it's a different story. :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
You to adjust your driving style and get used to it I'm afraid.

I've owned a couple of v6's from a different Marque and like you say, you could drive everywhere in 5th. You get lazy!

Options are: Get used to the lag and adapt your driving to stay on boost if you think you will need to get moving rapidly, or: Get shot. Get another large capacity, Normally aspirated vehicle and continue being a lazy driver!

I'm stuck in the middle a little. I get frustrated having to constantly change gear, because I'm lazy, but I love the punch and thrust that a Turbo piles in with !!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You to adjust your driving style and get used to it I'm afraid.

I've owned a couple of v6's from a different Marque and like you say, you could drive everywhere in 5th. You get lazy!

Options are: Get used to the lag and adapt your driving to stay on boost if you think you will need to get moving rapidly, or: Get shot. Get another large capacity, Normally aspirated vehicle and continue being a lazy driver!

I'm stuck in the middle a little. I get frustrated having to constantly change gear, because I'm lazy, but I love the punch and thrust that a Turbo piles in with !!
Im certainly going to miss the V6 !

One of the reasons I bought the GQV was I thought on paper it will be MORE POWERFUL than my V6 but in reality I feel like Im just driving a 1750 4 cylinder of the line everywhere I go which is mainly city driving. I hardly ever get up into the higher revs.

Anyway thats ok the newer car is 1,000 times more comfortable than my hard riding V6 which is the main reason I sold it to get the GQV and being newer it wont fall apart in my hands from old age like my 17 year old V6 !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts