Alfa Romeo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
A very tall mate of mine, when asked how tall he was, would always reply "Five foot nineteen".
Cooo ... that's only 3.5cm more than me. Good mate you have there :-D

Mixed units of measure ... sign of a flexible mind eh?

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
He's probably the same height as you. The taller they are the more they feel the need to exaggerate their height for whatever reason!!!....hence me starting this thread!

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Many of us were educated in both systems at school.....some of us primary school kids of the 70s at least!

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Many of us where educated in both systems at school.....some of us primary school kids of the 70s at least!
What about English?
"where''? ;)

Reactions: alfaitalia

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hatched in 67!

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Many of us where educated in both systems at school.....some of us primary school kids of the 70s at least!
Only two, you were lucky. We learnt using f.ps. (feet.pounds.seconds), c.g.s (centimetre.gram.seconds), m.k.s (metre.kilogram.seconds), and S.I. systems. Then all the conversions of units between them all.
Even though I taught physics for nearly 40 years I still prefer pounds per square inch to hectopascals for most measurements of pressure, Thou of an inch for clearances etc. One useful unit is the ‘gnat’s kok’ to indicate something very small, possibly too small to mention but important all the same, as in “it needs a gnat’s kok removed to fit”.
Note: 10 gnat’s kok = 1 smidgen. 10 smidgen = 1 ciggie paper. ( censor kicked in on that one).
10 ciggie paper = 1 tad.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Or the unit used by my teacher when the unit would not come into his head.....the famous "Hectarefootpint" . A very useful unit that easily combines area, length and volume in one easy to remember unit. Hes is however dead now!.....buried 1.8288 metres down!!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
All of my learning was done in Imperial units - I'm no stranger to the Slug & the Poundal!

The big advantage of Imperial for educational purposes is that to find your mistake you divide your answer by the correct one or vice-versa & you get something like 12, 16, etc. Do it in Metric & you get multiples of 10!

For everyday use I prefer Metric, but when it comes down to precision stuff I have to convert to thou's to understand the fit between components & the manufacturing process used to achieve the specified tolerances.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I still find metric units more difficult to visualise - the gramme and the millimetre are too small so I find it much easier to visualise 1 foot or 12 inches than 300 mm. That may of course be familiarity but I still think in Imperial most of the time. As I'm of 1952 vintage there was little or no metric education for me at school. As for currency, a pound could be easily divided into 2,3,4,6,8,12 etc. old pence, but only into 2 or 5 new pence. If you've got three kids, how do you divide £1 equally between them? Mind you these days £1 buys so little it's not so much of an issue!

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Don’t be so mean, give each of them a £1.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ancient brain still defaults to Imperial, though when measuring I'm more likely to use metric, and of course our school rulers had centimetres down one side so it was always around.

The week after "conversion" in the early seventies the local timber yard insisted I order in metric, so I painstakingly converted all the dimensions of the wood needed to build a slot track. Man in yard was befuddled and said: "We have two by two or two by one."
"But you said...?"
"You have to order in 2.4 metre lengths," was his reply.

Which is still the muddled British way in some areas. Miles per litre, anyone?

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Wood yards also used a unit called ‘a unit’, about 11 3/4 “. Or 30 cm. near enough! So perhaps 2.40 metres is 8 units.
I once needed a piece of glass 5 feet in length therefore I went to the local glaziers, as you do, and gave the specification to the young guy. He went and cut it and I took it home; it was 10 inches too short. I took it back and said it needed to be 5 feet and it was only 50 inches long, his reply “ that’s right it is 5 feet, there’s 10 inches to the foot”. I had a replacement cut by an older member of staff.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Funny you say that. I needed some fence posts the other day. You can choose between three or four inch thickness....but 2, 2.2 or 2.4 metre lengths!!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts