Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do they do it?....they are already tall but most (and I do mean most in my experience) lie about their height...sometimes exaggerating by two of three inches!!

Examples...

I'm an actual and pretty average apparently 5'11".....but strangely I seem to be taller than many of the blokes I meet claiming to be 6 feet or more!!!....that's because they are lying.

Today (the spark to write this) I had a customer in looking at caravans (hopefully he's not a forum member!) and because he was very tall the bed length and ceiling height was an issie....as it often is for taller people but we can usually get around it. This guy tried a few beds....he rightly said that they were too short for him......then he said it always an issue for him even in a house bed...what with him being 6' 6 tall! Sorry?...how tall? 6'6". By this point it was clear that they were wasting my time and had no intention of buying so instead of being "Mr Agreeing Salesman" I disagreed! I said you cant be 6'6" tall. He came back saying he was and he had been measured for some random reason just a few weeks back. We were in a Swift caravan which has a factory ceiling height of 6'5". I said "so how come you are in shoes that are about and inch thick in the soles and yet in this 6'5" caravan your head is still a good inch plus away from the ceiling". I bet you are around 6'3 and 1/2 or 6'4" at the most. Then his mum joined in..." are you calling my son a liar?. I said "is he saying he 6'6" tall?....."he is"....then yes I am. End of conversation.

Why lie about something as silly as being tall when its so easy to disprove....and why so they do it? I've had several such incidents recently (most where I said nothing of course....but this guy was a c.o.c.k!).....maybe very tall people have very tiny winkies and feel they need to make up for the lack of inches elsewhere!!

Be interesting to hear the views of tall folks on this very interesting subject!!!!

·
Banned
642 Posts
Why do they do it?....they are already tall but most (and I do mean most in my experience) lie about their height...sometimes exaggerating by two of three inches!!

Examples...

I'm an actual and pretty average apparently 5'11".....but strangely I seem to be taller than many of the blokes I meet claiming to be 6 feet or more!!!....that's because they are lying.

Today (the spark to write this) I had a customer in looking at caravans (hopefully he's not a forum member!) and because he was very tall the bed length and ceiling height was an issie....as it often is for taller people but we can usually get around it. This guy tried a few beds....he rightly said that they were too short for him......then he said it always an issue for him even in a house bed...what with him being 6' 6 tall! Sorry?...how tall? 6'6". By this point it was clear that they were wasting my time and had no intention of buying so instead of being "Mr Agreeing Salesman" I disagreed! I said you cant be 6'6" tall. He came back saying he was and he had been measured for some random reason just a few weeks back. We were in a Swift caravan which has a factory ceiling height of 6'5". I said "so how come you are in shoes that are about and inch thick in the soles and yet in this 6'5" caravan your head is still a good inch plus away from the ceiling". I bet you are around 6'3 and 1/2 or 6'4" at the most. Then his mum joined in..." are you calling my son a liar?. I said "is he saying he 6'6" tall?....."he is"....then yes I am. End of conversation.

Why lie about something as silly as being tall when its so easy to disprove....and why so they do it? I've had several such incidents recently (most where I said nothing of course....but this guy was a c.o.c.k!).....maybe very tall people have very tiny winkies and feel they need to make up for the lack of inches elsewhere!!

Be interesting to hear the views of tall folks on this very interesting subject!!!!
No comment - shortie!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is this why we say someone "told a tall tale"?

Reactions: alfaitalia

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No comment - shortie!:ROFLMAO:
Just googled it and the average height of a British male is 5'10".....so I'm taller than average....just....who knew!!!???

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
806 Posts
Likewise, it's amusing when people try to compare their their height to the next most 'impressive' figure. "I'm 5'11" so I'm pretty much 6' "

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
A shocking case of short man syndrome Alfaitalia.
Pull yourself together! 🤣😜

Reactions: Anticlockwise

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,044 Posts
What a load of rubbish! 5' 8" is the perfect height, anything taller is gangly and abnormal. ;)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Someone who went to my school, many years ago, found himself resorting to dating sites later in life and stated on the form he was 6’1”, some of his dates said that they were about 5’10” but he turned out to be the same height as them! There was a reason though, he’d been an offshore powerboat racer for a number of years and his spine had compressed

·
Registered
16,739 Posts
It's a strange phenomenon. I'm exactly 6' in my bare feet, or at least I was when I last got measured a long time ago. I'm old and knackered now so I may have shrunk. I have come across a few people who were apparently 6'+ but were smaller than me. Either someone is bullshitting or I carried on growing until I was 30.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,424 Posts
I did wonder what triggered this thread. I’m pleased to see the caravan kind of explained it because, until then, I thought it was a pretty weird one :).

Reactions: Top Down

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,044 Posts
I take it you are, “Vertically Challenged”?
When I had a sailing yacht I easily cleared the deck head in the cabin, anyone who was a bit lanky who came on board I had to warn (bang🥴!) (too late) Mind your head! Thats vertically challenged!🤭

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
The thread of tall tales?
I figure out is all about people who have such an inferiority complex they obviously overcompensate in their own heads to the point they don't realise everyone else sees this distortion.

Such an obvious way to ruin one's own credibility.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts