Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys just a quickie, my rear tails are oxidised, I've tried Brasso wadding and Autosol to clean them but neither of these products is restoring the metal, can you give me any recommendations on a product that will?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are chrome (plated I guess) they have become oxidised because of they emissions out of the back, they aren't rusty just a rusty brown colour, I guess it's the cause of exhaust chemicals.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Guys just a quickie, my rear tails are oxidised, I've tried Brasso wadding and Autosol to clean them but neither of these products is restoring the metal, can you give me any recommendations on a product that will?

Cheers.
Cleaned mine the other week with wire wool and autosol. My tailpipe is just mild steel, I thought it may have been stainless steel the way it shone.:lol:

View attachment 416977

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I used autosol with an abrasive kitchen pad (foam/plastic not metal) and it looks like new without being scratched.

G

·
I tried autosol on mine and it didnt get rid of the tarnish, so getting Longlife exhausts Ipswich to replace with this for £80
£80 for a tip? Either I'm getting old or that's expensive. I had a custom quad exit cat back exhaust fitted for approx £300 a few years ago, but stainless has increased in price quite a bit since then. Still can't get over it costing £80 for a wee tip!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to my Longlife Centre, they wanted £150 to replace two tips, I can get a sports duplex backbox off ebay for £250!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
The tips on the Giulietta are stainless steel, whereas the polished 159 pipe is aluminised steel. Its just with the petrol exhaust it gets really dirty whereas when I had the diesel there was nothing: they were like new when I sold it after 40k - infact I painted the inside black because they looked too clean (which made them look smaller!)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
The tips on the Giulietta are stainless steel, whereas the polished 159 pipe is aluminised steel. Its just with the petrol exhaust it gets really dirty whereas when I had the diesel there was nothing: they were like new when I sold it after 40k - infact I painted the inside black because they looked too clean (which made them look smaller!)
Aluminised steel, learn something new each day:thumbs:

It still shines up really nice, I would expect the stainless tips would take a nice shine with some fine wire wool and autosol.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Dunno cue but I just got them shiny and like new using Astonish Hob cleaner!
Didn't I read somewhere that people use oven and hob cleaner for cleaning engines?

I know when my wife cleans the oven trays they have to go in the garage due to the overpowering fumes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts