Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added some sound deadening mat to the inside of my tailgate as I'm upgrading the audio with new speakers, amp and a sub. As a result it made the tailgate a bit heavier and so the gas struts couldn't cope with the extra weight. I've sourced some upgraded ones that are adjustable from a company called SGS engineering in Derby. The originals were rated at 410N and the new ones came with 700N capability. That was obviously way to strong but they are easily adjustable by gradually letting a small amount of gas out of each one in turn until the desired lift is created. They now open the tailgate better than before and once you are past the first 12" of opening it will open smoothly on its own which it wouldnt do even before the sound deadening was added :)(y). one thing to note under their advice I fitted them the other way up to the standard ones with the gas cylinder at the top when the tailgate is open. Apparently this is because the oil in the cylinder to lubricate the piston works better that way and the cylinder is in the down position when closed.They should last longer this way. Makes me wondering why the stock ones are fitted the other way up now.

I've left them a little bit stiff and strong at the moment to see if they bed in a bit since i can take more gas out later if they prove too much.

For everyone's reference they are part number GSV8-200 and have B9 ball sockets each end. They cost me £52.56 including delivery for the pair. They are a perfect fit and only took about 10 minutes to fit which includes playing with the tailgate for a few minutes.

I highly recommend the company. Really helpful sales and technical advice, friendly and next day delivery.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I've used SGS a couple of times, standard for the Giulietta but greater pressure for the GTV. Good company to deal with both times.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I used SGS-sourced struts to replace the dead ones on my 156. Quick delivery and good instructions with them, easy to fit.
There was a thread on the 147/156/GT forum about uprating the struts so the tailgate would open fully once the boot release button was pressed. I think the consensus was that while it seemed a good idea, going too powerful on the struts might damage the hinges or their fixings. I know that’s not what you’ve done silverevo but thought is was worth adding.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wizard, very good point and worth noting for anyone else who might need to do the same. I was very mindful of that when adjusting them and kept an eye on the hinges and fixing watching for any signs of distortion. I was kind of hoping it might open automatically as people had hoped on their 147/156/GT's but quickly realised how much force that actually takes so gave up on that immediately. Ive got it to a point that I think is a nice balance now and might even release a little more later. I wasnt sure if these struts needed time to bed in and was conscious of letting out too much and being back at square one again.

One Thing I have noticed is they are a bit louder than the original but I kind of like the wooshing noise they make.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts