Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Considering mounting a tablet in the top storage compartment of the Giulietta, mainly for the GPS functionality but also to take advantage of the other benefits.

It's an 8.0"; thinking of removing the storage unit and building a custom one to house the tablet. Initial thought is the tablet will lie landscape face-up, with a hinge system to lift it - doesn't have to be motorised.

Not sure if anyone else has tried something like this or knows of a place that can assist me here. I've had a chat with Julian at Tremor Audio - he wasn't too keen on taking this on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
:tut: I wouldn't do it.
It's against the laws of traffic and aesthetics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its his job, take his word for it :thumbs:
But an explanation would do us all well :rolleyes:
Mounting a tablet isn't illegal afaik.In that case hands free cellphone holders would be illegal too, and since the line between phones and tablets have been blurred by phablets (Galaxy note anyone?) it makes even less sense...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
1. Any device in a drivers field of view displaying any entertainment images or other non vehicle related information is deemed a dangerous distraction like talking on a phone whilst holding it, or watching a dvd.
That's why, by law, dvd players connected in the facia like a single din or double din or flip out screen unit, should have a ground/earth connection which will only allow the device to play when the vehicle is not in motion.

Needles too say, it is VERY dangerous watching something that will lure your attention away from the road. Guys, it takes 5 seconds to drift into an oncoming truck's lane. 5 seconds.
Afterwards you would give up your life just to have 5 seconds with your daughter again, or wife...

2. My comments about the aesthetic law was meant as a joke....:)

Please drive safe alfisti, you never know when someone, idiot or distracted family man, drifts into your lane. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
1. Any device in a drivers field of view displaying any entertainment images or other non vehicle related information is deemed a dangerous distraction like talking on a phone whilst holding it, or watching a dvd.
That's why, by law, dvd players connected in the facia like a single din or double din or flip out screen unit, should have a ground/earth connection which will only allow the device to play when the vehicle is not in motion.

Needles too say, it is VERY dangerous watching something that will lure your attention away from the road. Guys, it takes 5 seconds to drift into an oncoming truck's lane. 5 seconds.
Afterwards you would give up your life just to have 5 seconds with your daughter again, or wife...

2. My comments about the aesthetic law was meant as a joke....:)

Please drive safe alfisti, you never know when someone, idiot or distracted family man, drifts into your lane. :(
If the tablet is being used to display GPS or vehicle related data your point falls away. As per the OP thats exactly what he wants.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Way too many flaws with ysmans comment.

So what about the new 3 series bmw's, new renault meganes, new mercedez c class with the flip screen. Is that actual law or add on's of personal opinion?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
So what about the new 3 series bmw's, new renault meganes, new mercedez c class with the flip screen. Is that actual law or add on's of personal opinion?
Does that make it safe? Guns don't kill, drivers with cellphones do, and.....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Corrie...a car isn't exactly safe, the thing is an actual bomb on the move and we have millions on the road...point is people need to know what they're doing!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys, this has drifted quite a bit.
Thanks for the concern, but can anyone actually point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If the tablet is being used to display GPS or vehicle related data your point falls away. As per the OP thats exactly what he wants.
It never only stays with the good intention. Humans are flawed! We get bloodspatter over ourselves and then think: '' Uhm, dude, wtf, it uh, happened so fast...'' ;)

Way too many flaws with ysmans comment.

I am sure you might notice that most if not all vehicles with OEM systems will shut out all non driving related features LIKE for example DVD play when the car is started or in motion.
Topic closed, I am starting to hack this thread, apologies :tut:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts