Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interested in buying some coilovers for my 147 JTD. I found these up for sale, brand new, for 320€ in my local shop. I googled them and found them selling on e-Bay for 360$.

If these are no good, which would you recommend? Looking to spend around the 300€ mark on them. Want to get them before summer.

Apparently, as Dave said in this thread, they are crap! What other brands can you recommend? I'll go through some shops and see if I can find better brands.

EDIT2: Is it better to buy a set of coilovers or Eibach springs + some short shocks? Thinking Monroe is a good brand? But all in all, what is better for an all-round daily car? I don't really want to slam my car all the way to the ground, to the point where I won't even be able to go over speedbumps. The way the car was lowered when I just got it was perfect, could get over all speedbumps, and even climb sidewalks if I enter diagonally.

EDIT3 (gosh, so many edits): Do coilovers generally need replacing, ever? How long can they be used before having to be replaced? I have already replaced my shocks twice during winter because they freeze, apparently. Is it possible that coilovers could "freeze" too due to very low temperatures? If so, then I guess smartest thing to do would be to put on coils in summer and put normal shocks and springs in winter?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Try searching the forum. I think these coilovers were discussed a year or so back.

Personally my experience with cheap shocks on other vehicles is that they will be short-life and leaking and useless within a year or so.

Monroe used to be an OK budget aftermarket brand, but not in the same class as Bilstein and Koni. They may have improved, I simply don't know. I've had Bilsteins before and would definitely not buy anything less. I'm staying with OE until I can afford them.

I don't understand how people live with 30-40mm lowering on a 147. My Sport Q2 is just 15mm lower than standard, and I have to be really careful over the vicious speed humps that are on every side road where I live in W. London. It's only the undertray that scrapes, but that's because I am careful. At least one other forum member has knocked a hole in their sump, on a GT IIRC, and I don't think his car was even lowered.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
What the others have said, poor coilovers are much worse than good non adjustable suspension.
I think it is better to save the money, and either get good non-adjustable suspension (Koni and Bilstein are good choices!) or buy a second hand set of a good brand and possibly refurbish them.

These super cheap coilovers are only good for show cars that drive at 20km/h to and from a show and then get parked.

Reactions: gijst
1 - 4 of 4 Posts