Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently brought a second had 147 tspark at 74000 miles, now the seller assures me that the cam belt was changed at 71000 miles.......but has no proof (yeah i know i shouldnt of gone near a car with very little service history but it was so nice :( ) would the car still be going at 740000 with out a cambelt change at 72? it starts fine first time and theres no knocking noises. realy would apreciate it if some one could offer advice, this is my first alfa and im a newbie to all this!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Starting first time, and no knocking noises aren't any guarantee that the belt wont break, or a tensioner/idler won't give up.

TBH, unless you've got proof they were done, I'd get them done again. I'm sure you appreciate the car, so if you want to keep it relatively expense-free I'd have them done for peace of mind.

Is there a diesel-y noise on start-up, out of interest???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah funny enough there is, my dad asked if it was a diesel when i brought it home because of the noise on start up

R

·
0 Posts
Do you have proof of the 36k belt change.
What year is the car as belt changes are every 36k or 3 years whichever comes first

R

·
0 Posts
Yeah funny enough there is, my dad asked if it was a diesel when i brought it home because of the noise on start up
Thats the noise a knackered variator makes, needs changing when belts are done.

2001 and currently hunting down proof of all the cam belt changes =\
2001...so belts should have been done in 2004 + 2007 + 2010......it's ready for it's 3rd belt change next year.

Even if you find proof of second belt change at 71thou, it is still overdue by 2 years. You need to get the belts done ASAP as if it lets go you will be looking at a completely goosed engine.
You also need to find a Alfa indie to do the work, do not let a normal garage do it using tippex markings to set the timing, these engines need the correct camlocks to do the job properly
Ask here......http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/south-east-and-london/ and someone will reccomend one for you :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
That noise is the variator fella!!!

As for the cambelt, get it changed ASAP to save lots of trouble and change the variator at the same time :thumbs:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahah cheers guys, im bricking it now, if it snaps and messes up my engine im not gona be able to afford a new one im 17 and my insurance alone is £2000 a year :(

S

·
0 Posts
ahah cheers guys, im bricking it now, if it snaps and messes up my engine im not gona be able to afford a new one im 17 and my insurance alone is £2000 a year :(
Just take it easy till you get the cambelt checked and maybe changed. Where abouts in West Sussex are you?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
outside of horsham nr billingshurst , only picked up alfa last night, a BIG jump from my 1996 1.4 vwcl golf :p

S

·
0 Posts
outside of horsham nr billingshurst , only picked up alfa last night, a BIG jump from my 1996 1.4 vwcl golf :p
Well congrats on your 1st Alfa and im sure you'll love it to bits :thumbs:

I just posted on your other thread about where to go fella!!!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You kids....:rolleyes:

My first car (at 19) was a 10-yr-old 1.6 Cavalier...which I LOVED.

Insurance cost me £551 third-party only my first year (1993 or so). The car cost me £350...:D

I ended up 'bending' it...6 years later :cry:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
allright guys. i took it down to my local gararge today too book it in for some one to check it , ive known the guy for years and hes pretty reasonable and he said he couldnt tell with out opening up but from the sound of it , it sounded liek the belt was too tight so it may of been changed ! the fact that its too tight also goes along with the fact that the seller said "his mate had done it ", so thursday hes gona have a little look inside and see whats happening !

·
Registered
568 Posts
You need somebody who knows Alfas to look at it and do the job. With all respect to your local garage unless he has the correct tools the job will not get done correctly. From reading your posts I would take it that the belts have not been done. I don not want you to have to spend anymore money than is necessary but bite the bullet and get the belts and variator done.Trying to save £350 quid now could cost you a £1000 next week.
The Alfa Workshop,
Unit 15, Orchard Road,
Royston, Hertfordshire
SG8 5HD UK
Tel: 01763 245481
I dont know how far these guys are from you and there could be other Alfa indys closer but these guys come highly recommended.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took my car to rusper alfa romeo, quality guys there , he recon the variator wasnt changed but the cam belt looks in good nick. so got it booked in on tuesday , turns out i also need a new ac pump as well :(

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
2001...so belts should have been done in 2004 + 2007 + 2010......it's ready for it's 3rd belt change next year.
To be fare, the 3-year/36000mile interval only became official in November 2006, so it is unlikely to have been done in 2004.
Which would make it due it's 2nd change this year or next year.
(that is going by age only)

S

·
0 Posts
Took my car to rusper alfa romeo, quality guys there , he recon the variator wasnt changed but the cam belt looks in good nick. so got it booked in on tuesday , turns out i also need a new ac pump as well :(
Well its fantastic news that you don't need a new cambelt fella :)

If I lived closer and didnt have my own person look after my bella, Rusper Alfa would be my 2nd choice.

Btw, nice car in your avatar :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
take off the cam belt cover, if the back of the belt looks like it has a zebra pattern on it then it need replacing.

if you can still see the manufacturers writting on it then it most likely has been changed but when is still the question

1 - 20 of 31 Posts