Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I appear to have done something terrible to my Alfa...damaged her paint!!

Id scratched the paint last year going past some bushes so decided to give the whole car a T-cut treatment. I applied it then polished it all off as instructed, the scratches looked a lot better.

However a month or so later the paint has started to fade in patches. It looks to be where I dabbed the t-cut on before rubbing in. If i wet the areas the damage seems to disappear momentarily. This suggests its just the top shiny layer that is damaged and not the paint underneath.

I've attached a couple of pictures (not the best), one of which has a wet line down it.

Does anyone know how i might fix this??

Thanks

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
T Cut is pretty aggressive stuff, only slightly less than cutting compound. It used to work well on old solvent paints in solid colours, but I don't think I'd use it on clearcoated modern thin finishes, specially not metallics. Here it looks like the clearcoat has been discoloured rather than worn away. Odd.

I'd try Autoglym Resin Polish. It's still very slightly abrasive so may remove the discoloured clearcoat, but is also very good at filling in and hiding slight scratching. It does an excellent job of hiding damaged clearcoat on the tail of a (black) motorcycle I own. You'll probably need to repeat every few months.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Get some shots over in the Detailing lounge.. Lots of good advice over there on maintaining a finish!

Doesn't look too severe though.. Probably worth getting the opinion of a detailer on it, as they can often work minor miracles with fine grit wet/dry sandpaper and a rotary polisher!

·
Registered
52 Posts
T-cut is not a polish..it removes the top layer of paint (slightly)but the paint is then open to the elements...after T-cutting it should then be sealed with a good quality polish.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hmmm. So I shouldn't use t-cut on my metallic silver? Can I use cutting paste?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Cutting fluid and a Brillo Pad.

I 100% guarantee that you won't be worried about the scratch in the paint any more... because you won't have any paint left!
Haha. Serious question though. I have a silver 156 that I de-tar, t-cut colour restore, super resin then wax. Should I not try and cut this paint at all?

I also have a ref 2005 gt, was thinking of using paste to bring back the vibrant red.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Haha. Serious question though. I have a silver 156 that I de-tar, t-cut colour restore, super resin then wax. Should I not try and cut this paint at all?

I also have a ref 2005 gt, was thinking of using paste to bring back the vibrant red.
There are better options.... Alfa paint is soft, and aggressive compound can do more damage than good..

Check out the detailing lounge!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Hi

I appear to have done something terrible to my Alfa...damaged her paint!!

Id scratched the paint last year going past some bushes so decided to give the whole car a T-cut treatment. I applied it then polished it all off as instructed, the scratches looked a lot better.

However a month or so later the paint has started to fade in patches. It looks to be where I dabbed the t-cut on before rubbing in. If i wet the areas the damage seems to disappear momentarily. This suggests its just the top shiny layer that is damaged and not the paint underneath.

I've attached a couple of pictures (not the best), one of which has a wet line down it.

Does anyone know how i might fix this??

Thanks

Ben
If your sure it is just the clearcoat that has been discoloured/damaged, then a bit of wet sanding would get that back to a good finish, using progressively from 2000 to 3000 unigrit paper and lots of water and being very careful, followed by some good cutting polish(not T-cut!)

But if it's anything else, like lifting lacquer etc, then you could do more damage than good.

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
I have never had any problems with T-cut, and I have been using it ever since I had my first car (and before on my dads cars)

One thing that you have to watch though is if you use some of the older stuff from a bright red bottle which is meant for cellulose paint.

It contains ammonia and is more abrasive than the "metallic" stuff which comes in a darker red bottle.

After you have used T-cut you must go over it with a regular polish and then wax or a combined polish/wax like turtle wax.

T-cut is a polish as it does polish, although it is more often referred to a cutting compound due to it being relatively agressive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing that you have to watch though is if you use some of the older stuff from a bright red bottle which is meant for cellulose paint.

It contains ammonia and is more abrasive than the "metallic" stuff which comes in a darker red bottle.
It think it was the bright red bottle i used! I had this left from my old Fiesta!

Im going to try giving it a good polish with something a little less hard and see it if works, il try just one patch.

Thanks for your help

Ben

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
That could well be the problem then.

I reckon if you use a normal polish like Autoglym super resin polish it will remove most of the clouding.

I used some T-cut metallic on my G the other week to remove a couple of light scratches and had no issues whatsoever.

This is the one you don't want to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carplan-T...734645?hash=item43dc2cd5b5:g:A3EAAOSwv0tVNMjI

Where as this one is fine as it is less abrasive and contains no ammonia.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Plan-...026917?hash=item5d51f5e0e5:g:78cAAOSwm8VUyakO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts