Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Sz Panels

Tags
panels
4K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  philm 
#1 ·
Hi, does anyone know of an SZ/RZ being dismantled..? I`ve come across one that is spanked in the rear and needs panels/bodywork doing. Main agents are no good for anything so the only hope is on here..
Cheers, Mark..
e-mail : i.r.s@freenet.co.uk

#9 ·
yeah, so i`ve only got 7 days to get info on parts that are available and to make the final decision..would be a shame not to have had one..maybe just sit on it till the right panels come along, don`t think they`ll ever bottom out on value...Il Monstro here we come..(maybe)

Cheers lads

#11 ·
I've just seen the car on the auction site - for that money (and if I had the space) I would buy it myself just a source for spares! Windscreen, front bumper, interior etc got to be worth it.

Philip

PS - assuming you can get the panels, then the repair doesn't look too difficult so could make quite a cheap SZ....

#12 ·
Depending on what it finally goes for, I'd have thought buying it for spares would be a better option.

Last time it was on here someone pointed out that the doors aren't flush - now I know they're not always 100% flush at the best of times, and it might just be that they've not closed them properly, but it also might be that they don't close properly any more.

Mind you it's a Cat D, so any damage shouldn't[i/] be structural... who knows. :confused:

#13 ·
Hello guys,

might be an interesting car to buy and repair but it always depends on the price for the car and the repair costs.
At the current price (3100 pounds but reserve not yet met) no bad deal on spare parts alone I would say.

Regarding repairing, am I seeing it correct that the backaxle is dislocated to the right (position of the wheels regarding the side panels is different). This could also explain the ill fitting doors and the damage to the boot floor (spare wheel well is damaged and even the rearpanel has lifted, see uplifted middle speaker) and it is according to a rear shunt slightly towards the right.

If the car has serious chassis damage and the reserve is around the the current bidprice it would still be interesting for spares though I think. Just my 2 cents worth of thinking.

Good luck to any prospective bidder / buyer.

Robin

#18 ·
Hi everyone, I have seen this car and the damaged is pretty severe. The boot internals are displaced and the wheels no longer seem square to the car. I was surprised that it is only CAT C. With a decent one at around 16-18K from a dealer and less privately I think the owner has realised it is not viable to repair.

#19 ·
Light rear end damage!!!! If this guy ever advertises a car with serious rear end damage, just expect a photo of a bent steering wheel and a smoking tyre.
I had a classic corvette with roughly the same damage (fibre body) and it cost 15 grand to restore properly, and all corvette parts are readily and cheaply available. A normal bodyshop won't touch this repair!
Having said this, these are stunning cars to drive, and someone should invest the time and effort to put this alfa icon back on the road.

#20 ·
If i remember correctly,this motor sold for over £7k thru the auctions

Can anyone confirm that?i did feel it was on the high side but as a very rare car then i would expect it to go for good money

As a salvage Co,they surely done there homework if they bought it direct,wouldn't they??????????

#22 ·
Hi, the auction ended at £7700 plus commission@ 3% makes it nearly 8K !!! , they`l either hang out for a punter who gets smitten or end up taking a BIG loss to move it on.. I would have only gone to £5/£5.5K tops..still makes it a dear salvage prospect but the chance to get on of these at `reasonable` money is the only way i can see...at least the parts are available though not cheap at all, if it took you a year to finish, spreading the cost over that time would not be too hurtfull and then you`d have one of the all-time classic icons of ALFA ROMEO...maybe i`ll go see it and have a chat` in his ear`...

#24 ·
Is the car near you as its in benfleet essex. At first I thought it was your car.

#23 ·
I understand the chap is looking for 10K:eek: The panels for the repairs, bearing in mind the RZ panels are all slightly different are going to be around 3K IF you can fin proper SZ parts. Lenses for the rear are an eye watering £200 EACH and you'll need all 3!!

#28 ·
The mind boggles- £8200, I was told when I went to see it that the back half of a car was available for £1500 which if true is bargain of the century now-however if I had the complete backend of an SZ I may think it was just a little bit more valuable now!!! adding the £1500 to the 8200 we get 9700 with transport and time probably gets it to 10K ready for repair. It needs a new exhaust system as the rear box is trashed and the centre silencer crushed, the suspension pump took a hit in the shunt and the interior needs some bits and pieces so I think even with free labour it will be 12/13K at best finished. I may be wrong and I hope for the buyer I am, but it has none of the SZ desirable bits- handbook, certificate, cover, wheel bag and so forth and it will always be known as that rear ended SZ. Sorry to be so negative- my money's on a quick reapearance for sale.

#30 ·
I had a fixed budget for the car that did not go that high- I was serious about bidding, funds in place parts sourced etc. I have funny feeling thoiugh that the bids may not be all they seem. I have bought many, many Zagao things via eBay and you tend to see the same usual suspects. The winning bidder has never bought any sort of Alfa or Zagato item, I find this a little odd but hey, I've been wrong before! Still I have to say that the chap selling was pleasant enough and he looks like he has just about covered his costs. My money is on a no sale personally.

#31 ·
Id love to have the car as spares for my mint gtv6. Imagine a gtv6 with an sz engine ,gearbox, front coil overs sz wheels and suspension Ouch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.