Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a problem today with the GT, drove to my friends in South Wales, down the M5, M50 and M4 into Wales. As i came of the M5 onto the M50 the gear selection became very, very stiff.
Getting 1st/2nd was almost impossible.
Got to my friends and couldn't get get reverse at all. Thankfully I had parked so I didn't need reverse!

Went to Bristol from Wales, still struggling to get into gear. The clutch pedal had a 50% soft feel, then 50% "normal". No clutch slip, no issue when in gear.

Have got back home from Bristol, selection seems a bit easier, but still no where near right. I can just get reverse but it feels very odd going in.

Could I be right in thinking this is a slave cylinder? Any way of checking this in the morning? If no way of checking I will see how bad it is and may end up getting the RAC to take me t SimplyAlfas.

Just when you don't need the extra expenditure eh?!? And the chances of this being under warranty....hmmmm.....:cry:

Any ideas gratefully taken.

The pedal feel did change when the temp dropped recently, put it down to the cold weather. Beginning to think it is something far more serious than the weather!

And just as I had said the car was running perfectly.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Possibly, but this sounds similar to the issue I had with my master cylinder, symptoms for the slave cylinder include brake/clutch fluid coming from the bottom of the gearbox bellhousing

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the fluids and all fine, brake and power steering fluid all at the same level as ever.

With the engine switched off the gear change is normal.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Ok, but I didn't notice a drop in my levels.

Check where the master cylinder is attached to the clutch pedal, mine had a few drops of hydraulic fluid on the joint, then you can rule that out immediately

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked again this morning, no drips or leaks.

And the gear change is ok. Drove around for 10 mins to get up to temperature, seems a little clunkier than normal, but nowhere near as bad as yesterday.

Any ideas people?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
Brake fluid attracts moisture. If there was water in the fluid it could have frozen. Then when the engine warmed it up, thawed left an air bubble or water which will compress easier than fluid ... have the clutch system bled to get rid of any air, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts