Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two GT's 1.9 diesel. One is an 07 plate and the other ( recent acquisition) a 57 plate. The 07 was remapped some time ago. We took the 57 to be remapped last week but the mapper couldn't access the map through the lead. He thinks there may be a difference between the two ECU's and the newer one needs a bench map.

Does anyone have experience here. Could I just swap the ECU's between vehicles (and the key fob chip). Our mapper is an agent so he downloaded the map; sent it off and then uploaded the revised map later that day. I don't know if he did or was able to individualise the map to the vehicle.

Thanks,

·
Vendor
45,435 Posts
We have two GT's 1.9 diesel. One is an 07 plate and the other ( recent acquisition) a 57 plate. The 07 was remapped some time ago. We took the 57 to be remapped last week but the mapper couldn't access the map through the lead. He thinks there may be a difference between the two ECU's and the newer one needs a bench map.

Does anyone have experience here. Could I just swap the ECU's between vehicles (and the key fob chip). Our mapper is an agent so he downloaded the map; sent it off and then uploaded the revised map later that day. I don't know if he did or was able to individualise the map to the vehicle.

Thanks,

The 57 plate has possibly been remapped before and the tuner has locked the ECU. Even if a standard map was written back over the remap which locked the ECU, the ECU will remain locked. There are a few tuners in the Alfa community which do this, its a bit naughty if you ask me, although I can understand why they do it. There are no differences in the ECUs and whatever system he has for reading the ECU on the 07 plate car should work on the 57 plate car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Comparing the two; if the 57 had been mapped, it isn't now in comparison to the 07. When the mapper tried, his software recognised the ECU. They appeared to 'handshake' and then the process just stalled.

I assume that if I swap the ECU and the key chip; and it starts and runs, its OK. The ECU should also do a bit of self learning in the short term

·
Vendor
45,435 Posts
Why don't you inspect the ECUs on both cars, they have a sticker on them which gives the hardware number. See if the numbers match.

If you want to swap ECUs you will also need to swap the key chip and the body computer, the body computer is under the dash at the driver's side attached to the fusebox.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I'll check the numbers. Understand key chip. What's the body computer. Is that what the chip talks to?

·
Vendor
45,435 Posts
OK, so I'll check the numbers. Understand key chip. What's the body computer. Is that what the chip talks to?
Yes, it does the immobiliser function and also manages communication between all other nodes on the car. The engine ECU is paired with the body computer, you can't swap one of these for another second hand one without swapping the set (ECU, BCU & key chip). If you replace any of these for brand new, its a different story as a brand new part comes 'virgin' and pairs with the first car it is fitted on to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. I shall go for a delve under the dashboard. I'd manged five minutes of web search last night, and have I understood correctly that the BCU (or is it BMC body control module) is responsible for the occasional blatant lie, such as 'number plate light failure'. Seems common in both cars.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts