Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it doesn't become too boring after all the recent European trip pictures, but I have a few more from my autumn trip in September. After the slightly strenuous French trip in the Summer this was more of a lazy event with my favourite Swiss classics.

First the inevitable Stelvio: It's hard to find new views, especially if the weather isn't nice enough for a little walk.

Since I was there the last time, they have closed down a few hundred metres of the original road - probably because of problems with falling rocks. The part from where I'm standing till the left where it meets the new road (with middle line) is closed now. I find that quite sad, since the Stelvio pass is such an iconic road:

Flüela pass:

I haven't posted pictures of that one before - the Klausen pass. Place of a very famous hillclimb race in the 20s and 30s.
Since it fits here quite well - a funny little story from the book "RACING... ROUND the WORLD" by Count Giovanni Lurani, a racing driver who drove often with Alfas, after he won his class in the Klausen pass race in 1934:

A commentator of "Radio Switzerland" was posted at the finish to interview the best-placed competitors and I was also brought to the microphone, where something like the following dialogue took place:
Announcer: "Count Lurani, it is certainly the first time you have raced in Switzerland?"
Myself: "No Sir, I have already run in several Swiss races."
Announcer: "Count Lurani, it is certainly the first time you have won a race in Switzerland?"
Myself: "No Sir, I have already won at Bernina, Monte Ceneri, Gurnigel."
Announcer: "Count Lurani, only three records have been broken to-day; can you explain how it is that you could not improve your class record?"
Myself: "No Sir, I was in fact one of the three drivers who beat previous records."
Announcer: "??????????"

I'd love to stay in that hotel, but sadly they have no shower/wc in the rooms. (Yeah, I know, I'm a bit of a girl.)

A group of British oldtimers were there too.
Bentley (I think) approaching:

Urner lake:

The Susten pass: A relatively new road (from the 40s), which means instead of many hairpin corners it meanders alongside the mountain sides over long distances. Very nice and stressfree to drive.
Here it started to rain, which in a FWD Alfa means, it's even more fun to drive than in the dry. But on the top it was to wet and windy for pictures. On this whole pass I met not a single car, that was going in my direction!

Grimsel pass. There's a small piece of road, which was made redundant by a tunnel and it looks a bit as if it's not allowed to be driven by cars anymore. But since "GJ" mentioned it some time ago (http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/moto...ds-100-years-ago-and-today-2.html#post2345464), I checked it and can report, that it's open again and can be used by cars up to 22 tons (so even a Brera can use it! ;)). It's not even one-way.

Dam near the top:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
San Bernardino pass: One of my absolute favourites.

Splügen pass: The quite even northern side:

The inevitable lake at the top:

The scary southern side:

Impressions at Maloja pass:

Glacier at Bernina pass:

And the traditional old/new pictures:

Flüela Hospiz:

Klausen pass hotel:

San Bernardino pass: Had I waited a few minutes more, I even would have been able to have a post bus in my pic, too! I met it later at the summit.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Oh wow! Never enough of these pics. :wow:
Magnificent roads, views and photography! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Fabulous pictures, thanks for sharing.:cool: Is the the Morteratsch glacier ( Below Bernina, nr.Pontressina) still receding at 30mts + a year?

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Stunning pics Andreas :cool:

I'm really pleased they've reopened that part of the Grimsel :thumbs:

and those pics of the Klausen really bring back some memories...
especially of the narrow tunnel(s) near the start.

You've given me itchy feet.... :thumbs:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Here's a couple of my (ancient) Pics...

Apologies for the quality...two are from old 35mm slides
that weren't looked after very well :(

and the Bernina one is from an old (pearl finish) print...

The first is the Dam near the top of the Grimsel..
there wasn't any water in it in 1971 :eek: We had to
use candles in the Hotel because they had shut down the
Hydro Electric system at Handeck.

The second is the Klausen 1980..

and the third is the Bernina in '82 (with the Sprint :cool:)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
...... and I just found...

The Susten from 1967

From your picture it looks like the stream that flows over the short tunnel
has dried up now :confused:

[and nobody is allowed to ask what car I was driving :tut:.... it struggled a bit :eek: :lol:]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Fantastic pics and roads. :thumbs: Thanks for sharing them with us.

Wish we had mountains like that here in Australia.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Here's a couple of my (ancient) Pics...

Apologies for the quality...two are from old 35mm slides
that weren't looked after very well :(

Old pictures (especially with cars in them) have such a nice nostalgic air - from a time, when cars weren't seen as something indecent.

The picture from the Grimsel dam confuses me a bit. It's not the one from my picture, of course, but still - looks much longer than I remember. I'll have to compare it with my other pics ...

... The Susten from 1967

From your picture it looks like the stream that flows over the short tunnel
has dried up now :confused:

[and nobody is allowed to ask what car I was driving :tut:.... it struggled a bit :eek: :lol:]
Everything's fine! :) The stream flows still over the tunnel on the western part of the pass. My pic is of another tunnel on the eastern side.

Oh, and BTW, what car were you driving? :D

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
...and here's a picture I've found in an old book I have
showing the 'waterfall tunnel' on the Susten.

Judging by the rubble at the side of the road it was
photographed shortly after it was completed

There was a brick buttress at the 'upper' end of the tunnel
back then... [Edit: your comment further on in the thread explains the confusion]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts