Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am never sure I have a problem with my swirl valves or not on my 2.4 jtdm. I often hear a mechanical ticking sound when pulling away or speeding up with the window open. It makes me think they are rapidly fluctuating? Crazy idea?! Similarly if I blip the throttle hard when standstill e.g. with the door open and me standing outside with left foot in on the accelerator I hear it too. Ofcourse it may not be the swirl valves at all but if not what else? The motor is a '57, 50k on the clock, fully serviced, cambelt and water pump changed. (BTW this noise has always been present).

So I'm asking whether anyone would be good enough to describe the operation of the swirl valves. e.g. when the ignition is switched on should they operate then when on idle should they move back? When should I see the linkage move if I increase the engine speed (slowly, rapidly) whilst at standstill? Can anyone advise?

No power issues of consumption change, just a mechanical ticking under certain circumstances.

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Aren't swirl valves only of relevance when the car is at idle ??

I remember seeing an animated video of a swirl flap in operation and at idle the valve was slightly ajar but as the revs rose in the animation the flap became open fully. On a diesel I'd think that happens very soon in the rev range but no idea where. But based on that animation I would imagine that you'd see the linkage bar moving if you revved the engine at standstill because it seemed rev dependant.

But I could be wrong.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
They are supposed to alter the air flow into the cylinders. I think idle is open and revving is closed. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
291 Posts
They are supposed to alter the air flow into the cylinders. I think idle is open and revving is closed. I could be wrong.
Yep you are correct in the idea is to alter the air flow to create a swirl for better combustion but I'm sure its the other way as the engine is revved.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brilliant, i'll have a look under the hood ot see whats going on. May be a noise from somewhere else of course! As it's only me I may have to rig up a camera to video the movement but I hope not. Don't want that disappearing down onto the undertray!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts