Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, can anyone explain in simple terms (yes I know, sorry I’m not a petrol head).
I’ve just bought a 2008 1.9 JTDM and have read the forum about swirl valves etc and got totally confused......
Is it worth carrying out?
I ask because I believe there is the possibility of damage due to dodgy swirl valves.
Thanks in advance
Colin

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
Yes its worth carrying out. Your 2008 model would have left the factory with the late type swirl flaps fitted, these are metal and if they break off and get sucked into your engine then it stands a good chance of killing the engine, or at least doing enough damage to make it down on power, hard to start and poor running. You have to remove the inlet manifold from the engine to remove the swirl flaps from the manifold. You also would need to remove the inlet manifold from the car to check to see if the swirl flaps are still fitted, or whether a previous owner has removed them. Unless you have documentary evidence to suggest they've already been removed, then I would definitely suggest removing the manifold ASAP and then either removing the swirl flaps or confirming they have already been removed.

If not already done, I would also advise a physical blanking plate to be fitted between the EGR valve body and the inlet manifold to prevent exhaust gas from recirculating through the inlet manifold - over time it clogs the manifold and contributes to poor running, poor power and poor fuel economy. Fitting a blanking plate requires a fairly straight forward software modification to prevent errors, it doesn't require a full remap but you can do so if you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pud237, I will take your advice although it’s not something I would tackle myself.
I guess I will have to source a decent mechanic.

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
Where are you based?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pud237, I will take your advice although it’s not something I would tackle myself.
I guess I will have to source a decent mechanic

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
If you fancy a day trip up to the Lake District we could do it for you & lend you something to get about in for the day. We're near M6 junction 40 Penrith - 01768 879171

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
Do you know if it needs a cambelt/waterpump change as well, or just the swirl flap delete? I normally advise cambelt/waterpump jobs every 4 years or 40k miles whichever comes first, some people push it up to 48k but I have seen a few failures between 40k & 48k, but only a handful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at getting the belt and pump change at the same time as I didn’t get much history with the car apart from a stamped book.
I will contact you by phone this afternoon to chat about it.
I have had a look at your website and am quite impressed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's worth getting the EGR delete done at the same time. I'm getting the belt, pump, swirl removal, EGR delete and lightish remap done at Autolusso south soon. Definitley the way forward.

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
I was looking at getting the belt and pump change at the same time as I didn’t get much history with the car apart from a stamped book.
I will contact you by phone this afternoon to chat about it.
I have had a look at your website and am quite impressed.
If I missed your call, feel free to send us a message on our FB page if you are a Facebooker. www.facebook.com/autolussopenrith

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Pud, thanks I haven’t rang yet, will probably Monday or Tuesday but I will definitely be in touch!
Sorry not on Facebook lol!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For anyone following this thread, I dropped my beloved GT off at Autolusso in Penrith last week where Dan and his men carried out a cam belt, water pump change, swirl valve removal and EGR blanking.
I was also shown the underside of the car and given a guided tour of any potential faults.
I found that very valuable and reassuring as I could see the condition of the car (which thankfully only needed small remedial work).
I highly recommend Dan and Autolusso without hesitation.
The only downside was seeing a few Alfa’s in less than good condition (nothing to do with Autolusso I hasten to add! Just the ravages of time!)
So sad to see an Alfasud as just a shell...... (my first Alfa....which unfortunately rotted away on me) but I loved that car!

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
The Alfasud will live again, its owner bought it with good intentions to sort out and get on the road, but he had a run in with the law, got an 18 month ban and so the 'sud still sits in our yard. But its too valuable to be anything other than fixed up and brought back to former glory. Thanks for the recommendation, hope you enjoy the GT!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone following this thread, I dropped my beloved motor off at Autolusso in Penrith last week where Dan and his men carried out a cam belt, water pump change, swirl valve removal and EGR blanking.
I was also shown the underside of the car and given a guided tour of any potential faults.
I found that very valuable and reassuring as I could see the condition of the car (which thankfully only needed small remedial work).
I highly recommend Dan and Autolusso without hesitation.
The only downside was seeing a few Alfa’s in less than good condition (nothing to do with Autolusso I hasten to add! Just the ravages of time!)
So sad to see an Alfasud as just a shell...... (my first Alfa....which unfortunately rotted away on me
The Alfasud will live again, its owner bought it with good intentions to sort out and get on the road, but he had a run in with the law, got an 18 month ban and so the 'sud still sits in our yard. But its too valuable to be anything other than fixed up and brought back to former glory. Thanks for the recommendation, hope you enjoy the GT!
I’m pleased to hear about the Sud! That’s one car which doesn’t deserve a lousy end!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts