Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about some of the issues with these and people disabling/removing them and I think I'm correct in saying that the 105JTDm & 140JTDm have them but 170 doesn't -please correct me if I'm wrong. However my question is what about the 105JTDm? If at some point in the future I wanted to get rid of them what could I do? One option would be to remove them, but could I use a different manifold, say a 1.6JTDm Mito manifold (which I don't think has swirl flaps) or could I even use a 170 seeing as all the diesels belong to the same family?

There we go a question befitting of the title Technical & Vehicle Assistance!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
This has been talked about before, I am still interested in doing it but time etc has pushed it back....
I would be interested in any negative affects of removing them? I.e early power delivery and fuel consumption as I do a few short journeys..
Also I already done my cambelt so not keen on disturbing it. :)

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
I've read about some of the issues with these and people disabling/removing them and I think I'm correct in saying that the 105JTDm & 140JTDm have them but 170 doesn't -please correct me if I'm wrong. However my question is what about the 105JTDm? If at some point in the future I wanted to get rid of them what could I do? One option would be to remove them, but could I use a different manifold, say a 1.6JTDm Mito manifold (which I don't think has swirl flaps) or could I even use a 170 seeing as all the diesels belong to the same family?

Yes they have swirl flaps but they are fixed swirl flaps not like of the other engines, we have removed them for people and it has increased the power slightly I am not sure about fuel consumption as I have not had much feed back on it as we have not done many

The swirl flaps can be simply be removed from the existing manifold, make sure you use new rubber gaskets, we have these in stock and they are not expensive

Ned

Attachments

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi Ned can you tell me how many hours labour it is and also if the cambelt is disturbed please?
Cheers, Justin.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has been talked about before, I am still interested in doing it but time etc has pushed it back....
I would be interested in any negative affects of removing them? I.e early power delivery and fuel consumption as I do a few short journeys..
I've read about removing them from a 1.9 but not a 1.6. You're right about leaving it a while though, you wouldn't want to be doing another cam belt after a year!

Next question then, if they are removed wouldn't the inlet manifold be rough on the inside? I thought (from days gone by of polishing inlet manifolds) that they needed to be smooth? Maybe the interruption of the airflow is better for diesels??

·
Registered
8,786 Posts

no swirl flaps like used in the 1.9 and early 2.0 (159).

the swirls are fixed in the 105 and 140, basically restrictions in half the intake ports.

EDIT: just seen the post by AutoLusso, confirming what I always said.

It's the better part of the day to do this, but a must IMO if you're chasing high power. Emissions will be affected more than MPG

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've read about removing them from a 1.9 but not a 1.6. You're right about leaving it a while though, you wouldn't want to be doing another cam belt after a year!

Next question then, if they are removed wouldn't the inlet manifold be rough on the inside? I thought (from days gone by of polishing inlet manifolds) that they needed to be smooth? Maybe the interruption of the airflow is better for diesels??
Good question, and from the picures it looks like they just slot in so so the area in theory should be smoothed afterwards?..
What is the benifits of them being there? Emmisions reasons?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
better mixing of oxygen and fuel, the air enters the cylinder mostly through the other valve which creates a swirl inside the cylinder, which is still going when the fuel is injected.

Less soot is produced, so you can run more EGR (which reduces NOx but tends to increase soot)

·
Registered
950 Posts
better mixing of oxygen and fuel, the air enters the cylinder mostly through the other valve which creates a swirl inside the cylinder, which is still going when the fuel is injected.

Less soot is produced, so you can run more EGR (which reduces NOx but tends to increase soot)
Sounds like a good reason to leave them alone ;-) ..... So are they restrictive or do they help air flow? Just want to totally informed before taking the plunge! Thanks for explaining :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts