Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently jammed open the swirl flaps on my 2.4 Brera because of bad starting and poor tickover when cold. What a difference this has made to the car, brilliant. My question is this, now that the swirl flaps are permanently wedged open and the car runs well, is there any point in removing the flaps and replacing them with blanking plugs. Removing the manifold is a big job and not sure of the benefits of doing this when the flaps are I assume no longer a problem. Note the Egr is fitted with a partial blanking plate so the carbon in the manifold should be reduced. Your thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I was advised not to lock the flaps open when I had similar symptoms - which I ignored and the difference was night and day.

Typically on the 2.4 the swirl flap on cyl no.5 will start to leak, assume this because the EGR soot is concentrated in this area, causing a loss of boost.

Short term, it'll be fine, but definitely aim to have the manifold changed out at cambelt time, it's one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine failed just after I replaced the cam belt 4 years ago. I locked them open then and it’s still performing well without any real issues. I plan to change the manifold though in the spring when the belt is next due. From my experience, if the car is performing well, don’t rush!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine failed just after I replaced the cam belt 4 years ago. I locked them open then and it’s still performing well without any real issues. I plan to change the manifold though in the spring when the belt is next due. From my experience, if the car is performing well, don’t rush!
I tend to agree with you. As long as the car is running well I will leave it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used araldite and silicone. Worked a treat. Did it over a couple of weeks ago. Was a bit of a job to disconnect the arm from the motor.

·
Vendor
45,311 Posts
Taking the manifold off, splitting it, cleaning out all the black death, removing the swirl flaps and welding up the holes they leave is always a good idea, any 2.4 which has never had it done will run a lot better once it has been done. Its a lot of work though, even if the cambelt is already being done its a fair few hours extra labour if paying a garage. But well worth it to get your 2.4 back to running optimally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts