Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

The linkage bar keeps dropping off and I will eventually get round to doing a repair using one of the kits available. Its off the car now.

Looking at it today... I noticed 3 of my swirl flap actuators * will actually rotate 360 degrees - (obviously not the one connected to the motor).

I expected them to hit a "stop" when closed... like a throttle butterfly.

Is that normal ? - are they broke inside ?.

Thanks

Matt - brighton

* the plastic disc with the peg that sits in the inlet manifold

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Dear All

The linkage bar keeps dropping off and I will eventually get round to doing a repair using one of the kits available. Its off the car now.

Looking at it today... I noticed 3 of my swirl flap actuators * will actually rotate 360 degrees - (obviously not the one connected to the motor).

I expected them to hit a "stop" when closed... like a throttle butterfly.

Is that normal ? - are they broke inside ?.

Thanks

Matt - brighton

* the plastic disc with the peg that sits in the inlet manifold
You must have a very early 1.9 159 to have the bar type swirl flaps ???

Aluminium manifold with plastic flaps??

Ned

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes

Not looked inside the manifold but the rotating disc with peg is plastic and its an alloy manifold.

My post wasn't clear - I haven't taken anything apart or off the car (apart from the bar that connects the x4 discs) - its just the plastic part you can see next to the glow plugs

I didn't realise there were variations.

Ought they twirl without stopping or should they hit a stop when in closed position ?

Thanks v much for the quick reply

ps - its just the bar thats off the car - not the manifold

Matt - brighton

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Yes

Not looked inside the manifold but the rotating disc with peg is plastic and its an alloy manifold.

My post wasn't clear - I haven't taken anything apart or off the car (apart from the bar that connects the x4 discs) - its just the plastic part you can see next to the glow plugs

I didn't realise there were variations.

Ought they twirl without stopping or should they hit a stop when in closed position ?

Thanks v much for the quick reply

ps - its just the bar thats off the car - not the manifold

Matt - brighton
Yes the very early 1.9 159's have the metal manifold with the plastic flaps, it was only the first 3-4 months of production then they went over to the plastic manifold with metal flaps which come off and destroy engines and turbos

We remove the manifold, remove the swirl flaps and weld up the holes and refit with EGR delete. It is possible to do this job with out taking the cam belt off but much easier to do it with belt off

Ned

1 - 4 of 4 Posts