Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No.. nothing to do with the BNP or the Nazi's.. :D

I went to buy a model kit as a present for the Younger Mrs. S' nephew. The lad is the right age to build model kits (unusual hobby these days?) and has a stack of planes and tanks. I'd already bought him a P-51D Mustang at Christmas and so this time I fancied getting him something from the "opposition".

I bought him an Airfix Messershmitt 109G... contemporary of the Mustang.. and likely to give the lad some dog-fighting capabilities.. not to mention it is a cool looking plane in its own right.

The lad has a complaint though. There's no swastikas in the box!

I had to check... the transfer set is in there.. but he's right. The little swastikas that go on the tail-plane are not part of the transfer set. They're also not shown on the paint guide and they're not shown on the front cover artwork (itself a non-violent, pretty, noncey-boy painting of said Me-109 flying through some clouds on a nice summer's day.. no hint of warfare or violence in sight, etc. :rolleyes:)

But the lad was really disappointed. "Everyone" knows the Me-109 ought to have swastikas on the tail-plane and their deletion (I guess for Political Correctness reasons) is just really sad. The whole menace of the plane is lost and the kit is diminished, I think.

I wanted to take it back and buy a Hurricane instead :thumbs: but Mrs S. wouldn't let me, as she thought it bordered on "nutcase" :lol:

The lad actually managed to find some swastikas off a (Revell?) Junkers 88 kit.. a bit too big for the 109.. but shove THAT up your over-clenched butt-cheeks, Airfix! :lol:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
You could have stuck RAF roudels on the 109 :lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
He must indeed have been very disappointed. :(: Do you finish using an airbrush? Just an idea. Perhaps you could make a stencil from thin card to scale, and spray them in?

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
On the subject of the box-art, I'm sure I saw a little interview, possibly on the one show, with the guy who used to do all of the box-art for airfix. In that they said something about a timepoint at which it was decided they would no longer use pictures of the vehicle in combat.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My 3 year old came home from nursery and announced he'd learnt a new song..

Bah Bah......

wait for it....

Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep!

Political correctness gone barmy. Surely no one would be offended if they were to see a black sheep in a field.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
He must indeed have been very disappointed. :(: Do you finish using an airbrush? Just an idea. Perhaps you could make a stencil from thin card to scale, and spray them in?
Excellent idea ZF, I think that someone (3M maybe) used to do a very thin self adhesive plastic masking film, which was very easy to cut with the old Swann Morten scalpel.
I must admit, that seeing the Spitfire last night, makes me want to see if I could do a decent model justice any more. I wonder if the hard working missus would allow me a few extra pennies pocket money this week.:)

N

·
0 Posts
Probably so it can be sold "as-is" in Germany? :confused:

Or one that was meant for Germany and ended up in a shipment
for the UK?

E

·
0 Posts

Bah Bah......

wait for it....

Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep!

Political correctness gone barmy. Surely no one would be offended if they were to see a black sheep in a field.
I guess the green sheep were now getting offended :rolleyes:

Rainbow sheep though? What, are they in Brighton on a gay pride?

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Bonkers.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
One of the great things about being a small schoolboy in the 1960s was the fact that the war was reasonably recent (more recent than the falklands are for todays kids for example) so there was no reticence, political correctness or hand-wringing euro-guilt in the toys of the time.

I grew up on "Commando" comics which always had a "tommy" bayoneting a "fritz" on the front cover. We had boxes of little soldiers where the goodies were always the 8th army or the GIs versus the evil Afrika Korps. My brother and i had Action Men and they happily sold Nazi suited versions with scars on their faces to provide the enemy. All the Beanos and Dandys of the time would run cartoon strips based on WW2 themes with violent krauts and Japs getting a good hand grenades worth of shrapnel from good old Alf Tupper type british soldiers.

We knew what "Hande Hoch", "Rauss" and "Donner und Blitzen" meant even if we couldn't spell them because thats what the german soldiers were always saying in our comics.

Did we grow up as violent anti german/anti japanese thugs? Nope.

N

·
0 Posts

Bah Bah......

wait for it....

Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep!

Urban Myth!!!

Germ of truth used by the "PC Gone Mad" brigade
and maybe also latched on by the other extremist
in the Mad PC brigade:

Oxfordshire school(s) using an old nursery rhyme as a base
to teach kids about word use. Specifically colours.

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Nursery opts for 'rainbow' sheep

Maybe not thugs, but a slight anti-german/japanese feeling, I'd say. Not just due to comics.

N

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
One of the great things about being a small schoolboy in the 1960s was the fact that the war was reasonably recent (more recent than the falklands are for todays kids for example) so there was no reticence, political correctness or hand-wringing euro-guilt in the toys of the time.

I grew up on "Commando" comics which always had a "tommy" bayoneting a "fritz" on the front cover. We had boxes of little soldiers where the goodies were always the 8th army or the GIs versus the evil Afrika Korps. My brother and i had Action Men and they happily sold Nazi suited versions with scars on their faces to provide the enemy. All the Beanos and Dandys of the time would run cartoon strips based on WW2 themes with violent krauts and Japs getting a good hand grenades worth of shrapnel from good old Alf Tupper type british soldiers.

We knew what "Hande Hoch", "Rauss" and "Donner und Blitzen" meant even if we couldn't spell them because thats what the german soldiers were always saying in our comics.

Alf Tupper - "the tough of the track", brilliant, he used to eat fish and chips before running a mile race, and he wasn't allowed a cash prize for winning, so used to have stacks of clocks and canteens of cutlery in a shed at the bottom of his garden.
I used to have loads of the little Airfix 1/72 soldiers, and they even brought out a D Day German gun emplacement set, with firing (matchsticks) gun, and a set of German troops and Royal Marine Commandos.
Some of the stories in the comics at the time were based on true raids - Peenemunde, St Nazaire, that sort of thing.
Apparently a very small number of children under 16 know anything about WW2, and don't have a clue what D Day was.:(

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aye! The lad wanted a swastika on his Messerschmitt because there ought to be one, same as if they just decided to leave the guns or the "evil Nazi" pilot out.

I was more narked because it's PC cobollars gone mad. It says it's a plane from JG26 (or something) on the box. No it isn't! I've been swindled! :(

I'll buy Revell next time.. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Tin soldiers were just a game? Now their brains are 'invaded' with various media and they think it's ok to act it out for real.

N

·
0 Posts
.... so the fact that it is illegal to sell any item with
a Swastika on it in Germany (and I think France too) has no bearing on this?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think you can still get fancy dress costumes with the swastika logo on. I am sure that some guy called "Windsor" was in the news a while back.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
If you travel to germany with your son and his little airfix plane showing the swastika, you might well be arrested....no kidding, it is a criminal offence over here, and you will get a record. You can get decal sets here for the Me109, but the swastika has either been made into a square, or has been airbrushed out....good ol' german effeciency!
I would suggest instead, you airbrush the ancient chinese swastika on the tail (ie in reverse) which is formed of 4 L's, Light Love Life and Luck....turn it into a peace machine man.......

Maybe that was what the lad Windsor really meant to display on his fancy dress!!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
On the subject of the box-art, I'm sure I saw a little interview, possibly on the one show, with the guy who used to do all of the box-art for airfix. In that they said something about a timepoint at which it was decided they would no longer use pictures of the vehicle in combat.
I too saw this and I thought it was pretty silly, the artwork on the older boxes was brilliant and it never did me any harm.

I know at least one person who will confirm that I've grown up normal.....:D

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
That is ridiculous I saw the film "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise and they shot alot of scenes with about 50 Swastika flags in Germany itself. I wonder how they got approval to do that.

Speaking of P51 Mustangs my dad was a Mustang fighter pilot in the war fighting the Japanese. He said the Mustang was the ultimate fighter plane for its time showing complete superiority against the Zero. The only time a Mustang fighter pilot felt threatened was when they first saw the German ME262 Jets. I remember him telling me stories of pilots in germany flying mustangs and they were Seriously Scared seeing an ME262.

Then I remember in the 1970s I was a kid and I saw the first real Mustang ever in a hanger with my dad. I was just so excited to see it and I remember my dad just took one look at it and just walked away totally disinterested. Funny what war can do to you. All the bad memories I guess people just dont want to know about them.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts