Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Currently I'm driving 159 2007 2.4jtdm q-tronic sedan. The car is in a pretty good condition despite its high mileage.
It has all of the usual things done to the engine - dpf off, swirl off and remapped. Refurbished gearbox and a new head.
Nice performance, runs good, a bit laggy under 2k rpm though.

The things I don't like in this car are about its feeling on the road:
-May be too much power for fwd?
-A bit too soft, leaning too much in the corners, nose diving under hard braking...
-Bad weight distribution - heavy engine on the front, nothing on the back;
-I'm getting used to the power and wanting some more.

Thats why I'm thinking about swapping it for a bmw e90 330d auto.
I wanna try driving rwd, I think the car is gonna feel more balanced and I expect some more power and torque.

However, I have driven a bmw like this for a pretty short period of time and distance and I can not compare it to my car precisely enough.
Is there someone who has driven both E90 and 159 and how can you compare these cars in the aspect of driving dynamics and feeling?

What's your opinion, should I make the change or not?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I feel RWD is massively overrated for normal driving...

Even for spirited driving, a well set up car is more important than what wheels drive it. You'll barely notice any difference normally.

Personally I believe all RWD buys you is the ability to lose control in bad weather but the last RWD cars I drove for any length of time were engineered before 2000.

·
Registered
910 Posts
159 is slightly larger than a E90. E90 330d will have more power and torque. E90 probably has a stiffer suspension set-up, so should be more 'sporting' in that regard.

As Negativvv mentioned, for normal driving RWD is of no notice.

For racing, yes, as you can power out of the bends but for normal, road appropriate situations. No.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
I feel RWD is massively overrated for normal driving...

Even for spirited driving, a well set up car is more important than what wheels drive it. You'll barely notice any difference normally.

Personally I believe all RWD buys you is the ability to lose control in bad weather but the last RWD cars I drove for any length of time were engineered before 2000.
That’s why the Stelvio appealed to me: RWD that goes AWD as soon as it’s required.

·
Registered
161 Posts
2007 car leaning in the corners and diving under braking? How old are the springs & shock absorbers? My 159 is a 2006 and was still on its original shocks until March this year when I fitted new ones, the car has been totally transformed and no longer wallows and dives...
When I got the old shocks off I pushed the tube down to see how quickly it came back out, 5 months later I'm still waiting for them to show themselves!
Maybe a front suspension refresh is all that's needed rather than crossing over to the dark side...

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,833 Posts
If you buy a BMW are you likely to look back as you walk away and think 'thats a gorgous looking car'? I doubt it.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
The 330d BMW's are great cars, but then I am biased. :)

If you are prepared to have an auto why not go the whole hog and get a 335d?

Unlike a few here I am a RWD convert, better traction, better weight distribution, uncorrupted steering feel and generally less understeer.

The E90 does look a bit drab, especially in pre facelift (LCI) spec, if you want style look at the E92 (Coupe) which is a nice shape. The Msport versions look the best, but the ride is slightly too harsh for UK roads IMO.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The 330d BMW's are great cars, but then I am biased. :)

If you are prepared to have an auto why not go the whole hog and get a 335d?

Unlike a few here I am a RWD convert, better traction, better weight distribution, uncorrupted steering feel and generally less understeer.

The E90 does look a bit drab, especially in pre facelift (LCI) spec, if you want style look at the E92 (Coupe) which is a nice shape. The Msport versions look the best, but the ride is slightly too harsh for UK roads IMO.
I'm an ex RWD convert going the other way. Had quite a few BMWs and MR2 back in the day but ultimately I don't drive in a matter where it's noticeable. I can't even tell if my Busso has a Q2 or regular diff and I probably spin the wheels up less than once a year on average :whistle:

Will admit you can feel when a car is RWD both via steering and the general way it delivers power, how much that matters depends on the individual after all.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
RWD cars tend to be less nose heavy, so turn into corners a bit better. I am sure that a lot of people wouldn't care but I do.

A 330d BMW, especially a later one with the N57 engine and a remap is a wonderful thing. 320bhp ish, but still able to do almost 50mpg on a steady run.

As much as I like the 159 and the 2.4 5 pot it cannot really compete on power or fuel economy. The BMW's don't suffer rust as much either.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
RWD cars tend to be less nose heavy, so turn into corners a bit better. I am sure that a lot of people wouldn't care but I do.

A 330d BMW, especially a later one with the N57 engine and a remap is a wonderful thing. 320bhp ish, but still able to do almost 50mpg on a steady run.

As much as I like the 159 and the 2.4 5 pot it cannot really compete on power or fuel economy. The BMW's don't suffer rust as much either.
No doubt, by the time the 2.4 reached the 159 it was pretty old and last generation. No accident how the 2.0 and 1.9 units proved far more popular. Likewise even from what folk say here, the 159 platform is fairly old in comparison and won't match it's contemporary German competitors.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I decide to buy an E90, I think I'll go for the M57 engine. Stronger timing chain and easier to change.
Also heard some horror stories about the N57 aluminum fuel pump making shavings/aluminum particles and killing the injectors.
The old engine with dpf and swirls removed is good for about 290hp I think, which is enough for me.
I'm skipping the 335d because of much higher taxes in my country.

Do you guys think that 330d (even m57) is more fuel efficient than 2.4jtdm? I guess they are roughly the same in this direction... ?

And how can you compare the gearboxes? ZF6 vs Aisin.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
A 330d M57 should be more efficient than an 2.4 JTDm, you would expect around 40mpg as opposed to around 35, but you can check real world figures here.

Although the N57 does suffer more timing chain issues it is a much better engine than the M57. It is more powerful, more refined, better on fuel and doesn't suffer as many turbo, DPF or swirl flap issues. You can literally stand next to the car with the engine running and you wouldn't tell that it was a diesel. The M57 is a bit more clattery but still much quieter than the Alfa 2.4.

Most timing chain fails are the result of BMW's long life service intervals, and HP fuel pump failure is very rare. Keeping filters clean and running on decent fuel should help there...

As a car with an N57 is also likely to be newer you are likely to get less other age related problems with the rest of the car as well.

I cannot help with gearboxes though, I am a manual gearbox person although that ZF8 8 speed in later Bimmers is very good for what it is.

Reactions: dhtj

·
Registered
20 Posts
I came from a petrol E91 (estate) auto, and they do drive very well. Haven't driven a 159 so can't compare directly, but think neutral handling with potential for over- or understeer if pushed certain ways. Turn into a corner and plant right foot and it'll usually wash wide, take a fast S-bend under acceleration and you can feel the back end rotating. Be aware anything under M3 does not come with an LSD.

The ZF6 box is smooth and reliable, provided you change the oil when ZF say so, at around 80k (not BMW, who claim it's sealed for life!) It can be slow-witted, but this is rare and once you get used to it can be driven around easily enough. sport mode can turn the car into a different animal!

The facelift models are far better looking IMO (of course I had a pre facelift) and (if equipped) come with the later CIC iDrive, rather than the first-gen CCC that debuted in the 5/7 series of the same vintage. Beyond that, the seats are comfy but lumbar support is rare, M-Sport seats are far better than the SE standard option, and Runflat tyres are dire, most end up with go-flat replacements, much to the benefit of all who drive on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts