1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Does the new headunit have an input socket for SWC functions? Or only the two wires?

The 159 uses CANBUS signals to operate the factory headunit. If you add an aftermarket headunit, you'll need a steering wheel control interface, like the Connect2 CTSAR002.2. This interprets the CANBUS signals and sends them out via a 'patch lead'.

Connects2 Ltd

The issue I foresee is that there may not be a patch lead to suit a 'non-mainstream' brand of headunit (like Alpine, Pioneer, etc). See the link above, with reference to the patch leads for different brands.

The possible work-around is if you use a patch lead like the CTBLAUPUNKTLEAD, cut off the plug, and join the patch lead wires to your Android headunit. This MIGHT work if the Android allows you to programme the SWC commands; some aftermarket headunit allow this.

Of course, I can't guarantee it will work, so you might need to take the risk and try it, or do without. If the Android has programmable SWC inputs then there's a fair chance it can work.

:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the new headunit have an input socket for SWC functions? Or only the two wires?

The 159 uses CANBUS signals to operate the factory headunit. If you add an aftermarket headunit, you'll need a steering wheel control interface, like the Connect2 CTSAR002.2. This interprets the CANBUS signals and sends them out via a 'patch lead'.

Connects2 Ltd

The issue I foresee is that there may not be a patch lead to suit a 'non-mainstream' brand of headunit (like Alpine, Pioneer, etc). See the link above, with reference to the patch leads for different brands.

The possible work-around is if you use a patch lead like the CTBLAUPUNKTLEAD, cut off the plug, and join the patch lead wires to your Android headunit. This MIGHT work if the Android allows you to programme the SWC commands; some aftermarket headunit allow this.

Of course, I can't guarantee it will work, so you might need to take the risk and try it, or do without. If the Android has programmable SWC inputs then there's a fair chance it can work.

thanks for the reply. i have here a used CTSAR001.2 from a 147. can i somehow, by re arranging the wires order to mach the 159, make this work in my 159?thanks again

·
7,713 Posts
No, the CTSAR001 does not connect with CANBUS.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
sorry to thread hi-jack but it seems shiny_car knows his ice...

I currently have the connects2 bluetooth adaptor fo my GT and find it isn't really working as it should, two units tried and both the same issue. when using any audio app whether it be spotify or dab radio when I have an incoming call the callers voice does not come out of the car speakers but through the phone speaker (not loudspeaker)

If I am not streaming it works fine and i can pick up calls from the SWC as intended.

because of this I have decided to go the way of an android headunit with a connects2 CTSAR001.2 if you have any suggestions as to why the connects2 units are doing this that would be great, otherwise...

I am looking at several headunits including Xtrons and some generic ones and wanted to know if you could recommend one that would work with SWC. not too bothered about satnav or DAB and would like something under £150 with a touch screen and double din.

thanks in advance:thumbup:

·
7,713 Posts
I currently have the connects2 bluetooth adaptor fo my GT and find it isn't really working as it should, two units tried and both the same issue. when using any audio app whether it be spotify or dab radio when I have an incoming call the callers voice does not come out of the car speakers but through the phone speaker (not loudspeaker)

If I am not streaming it works fine and i can pick up calls from the SWC as intended.
I'm no expert with BT protocols, but I am guessing that the Connect2 BT adaptor cannot 'multitask', and can only perform one thing at a time. That is, either phone connection or music streaming, but not both at the same time, even though the phone is the single source.

because of this I have decided to go the way of an android headunit with a connects2 CTSAR001.2 if you have any suggestions as to why the connects2 units are doing this that would be great, otherwise...
Obviously ensure any new headunit can do what you want it to do with your phone.

Use a Connects2 CTSAR003.2; it will work with CANBUS and be mostly plug-and-play. The '001' will need some alteration, though not difficult.

I'm not a fan of no-name cheap headunits, and have never used one, so no idea what to recommend. I'd rather a basic name brand model, say from Alpine, Pioneer, etc.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm no expert with BT protocols, but I am guessing that the Connect2 BT adaptor cannot 'multitask', and can only perform one thing at a time. That is, either phone connection or music streaming, but not both at the same time, even though the phone is the single source.

Obviously ensure any new headunit can do what you want it to do with your phone.

Use a Connects2 CTSAR003.2; it will work with CANBUS and be mostly plug-and-play. The '001' will need some alteration, though not difficult.

I'm not a fan of no-name cheap headunits, and have never used one, so no idea what to recommend. I'd rather a basic name brand model, say from Alpine, Pioneer, etc.

thanks for the reply..

I got to the bottom of this after trying my mates HTC which worked, i had previously eliminated the phone as the problem by trying my wife's Samsung S5, my phone is also a samsung but an S4..

anyway what I discovered was there is an issue with the BT drivers just in the samsung phones running lollipop 5.1 or higher, I remedied it by downloading a bluetooth connectivity app for cars, it now works as it should...!

so no need to change the headunit now. a £300 spend avoided with a free app.

happy days!

·
7,713 Posts
Good work! And good to know. *stores info in my memory banks*

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Hello guys

I recently bought a new android headunit for 159. All working fine except the steering wheel controls. From the radio harness i have two wires for swc. Key 1 and key 2. Below is the scheme of my factory radio

http://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/zalacznik/zrob_to_sam/175042-_159_instalacja_blue__-radio.jpg

Can i connect key 1 and key 2 wires anywhere there or will i need a harness adaptor?

Thanks
What Android head unit have you got ? I know of several that use the Pioneer protocol for SWC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts