Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously i need to keep the prices in mind, otherwise i'd get it all done.:p

My symptoms of bad suspension are as follows;

-Car pulling to the right on long roads, it's not the surface as it's any long road. Not too bad, my last 147 was much worse, to the point of frustration. I've read tracking/tyre pressure can be the cause, i've done the tyres but no tracking yet. Obviously i'd want to make sure it wasn't any wearing suspension before i got the tracking done.

-The steering generally doesn't feel tight, turning into a corner where i need to steer the other way quickly feels like my whole body is involved. If you imagine a pirate ship wheel compared to those little compact racing wheels. There seems to be more 'steer' then there needs to be.

It'll intermittently squeak and knock, i know this'll be the ARB/Drop links. So do either of these contribute to the above?

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
squeak = not necessarily drop links, could be upper arm.

I am also looking at changing suspension bits - both upper and lower arms + drop links + rear strut mounts + tracking +refurb and fit alloys - Don't know where the hell all of the money will come from....oh and I need 2 new tyres.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
squeak = not necessarily drop links, could be upper arm.

I am also looking at changing suspension bits - both upper and lower arms + drop links + rear strut mounts + tracking +refurb and fit alloys - Don't know where the hell all of the money will come from....oh and I need 2 new tyres.
Do the upper arms add anything to better steering? I may change these, they're not too pricey & simple to fit.

At least you'll have a nice handling Alfa again. :) I've owned two, still don't know what one with new suspension feels like.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Not too sure what you mean by a "long" road, but 147s should steer very nicely - you need to check all front suspension bushes - in both the upper and lower wishbones, and the ball-joints. It "could" be the strut top mounts, but I don't think I've ever heard of them causing problems.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too sure what you mean by a "long" road, but 147s should steer very nicely - you need to check all front suspension bushes - in both the upper and lower wishbones, and the ball-joints. It "could" be the strut top mounts, but I don't think I've ever heard of them causing problems.....
Long roads i.e Motorway/A-Road. Anywhere where you build up speed and stay in a straight line, will pull slightly to the right.

I'll search for doing a check with the bushes. I know on the last Alfa, i could push/pull the ARB & there was inches of play!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts