Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted about my GT suspension troubles before but I now have some spare time to try and resolve it, I need some advise as I am not sure what to do first and cant afford to waste time or money.

Here are the problems/facts:
a) In poor road surfaces the rear steps out, it really feels like it is moving around a lot and friends tell me it is very visible when they follow me. It is very 'twitchy'
b) The car is crabbing. Again friends tell me the rear of the car is ever so slightly offset from the front - the car is traveling very slightly sideways.
c) Tyre wear at the rear is significant compared to the front since I bought the car 5000 miles ago.
d) One of the suspension arms is very slightly bent, probably from an attempt at jacking the car in the wrong place (not by me!).

I know b), c) and d) are related but would this influence a)?

The car has not been bumped or curbed since I bought it.

Is it worth getting a full wheel alignment check first ? If I am going to change suspension components I will then need another alignment and hence double the cost.

My temptation is to replace the suspensions arms/bushes, the trouble is I do not really know if my problem is bushing related ?

Would anyone recommend asking the local stealer to troubleshoot the problem. I always seem to get fleeced by stealers.

Please help as I would like to try and sort it in one hit.

Many thanks

·
Vendor
46,125 Posts
Don't go to local dealer.. Has the car been rear-ended? Go and take out your spare wheel, is the spare wheel well bottom look like its taken an impact and folded?

Could just be due to the bent control arm. And I would imagine the twitchy rear is due to the issues you are having. Putting a stiff ARB on the back is all that is necessary to make it an oversteery beast, if you have a bent arm it could be putting massive amounts of tension through the ARB..

·
Vendor
46,125 Posts
Hang on, when you say the car is crabbing do you mean driving like this (exaggerated):

Does the car drive straight when the wheel is in the straight on position? If you let go of the wheel, does the car go off its course on flat roads without camber? It will do this a bit anyway on most roads, try and find the flattest one around to test it..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hang on, when you say the car is crabbing do you mean driving like this:

Does the car drive straight when the wheel is in the straight on position? If you let go of the wheel, does the car go off its course on flat roads without camber? It will do this a bit anyway on most roads, try and find the flattest one around to test it..
I know this doesn't help but nice diagram..

:wow:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has the car been rear-ended? Go and take out your spare wheel, is the spare wheel well bottom look like its taken an impact and folded?
Not rear ended since I have had it, cant speak for the previous owner although I was told it had never been bumped.

I checked the spare wheel area previously and it looks like new.

Cheers for the comments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hang on, when you say the car is crabbing do you mean driving like this (exaggerated):

Does the car drive straight when the wheel is in the straight on position?
On a flat road the car drives quite well with a very slight pull towards the curb.
On a rough road it is all over the place at the rear.

You diagram is pretty much what is happening but I have no idea if the rear wheels are aligned with the direction of travel or aligned with axis of the car, it is too subtle to see. I guess that the rear wheel are aligned with the axis of the car due to the tyre wear i am suffering but it is only a guess.

Thanks very much

·
Vendor
46,125 Posts
On a flat road you would expect a slight pull to the kerb, the roads are usually slightly cambered for drainage and gravity will be causing the pull. On rough roads does the rear end actually lose grip altogether, slide a touch, then grip back in again? If you were to push it around a roundabout, starting slow and gradually increasing speed, would it understeer or oversteer first? It should understeer.

If the rear wheels were aligned with the car's direction of travel then it wouldn't be crabbing I wouldn't have thought.. Maybe just one wheel is out of alignment. It could be so slight you wouldn't notice it.. Another thing you could try jacking up the rear of the car one side at a time and see if there is any play in the wheel..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On rough roads does the rear end actually lose grip altogether, slide a touch, then grip back in again?

If you were to push it around a roundabout, starting slow and gradually increasing speed, would it understeer or oversteer first? It should understeer.

Its very hard to describe what the back end is doing. It does not feel like a slide as in understeer. It feels like, when you hit the bumps, the back end is hopping (stepping out) to one side or the other, it is bl**dy awful, even at slow speed.

On good roads at speed the car is generally well balanced with a tendancy to understeer, I have never had an oversteer moment. If on these good roads at speed, whilst cornering, I was to hit a small pot hole, I would be in deep deep trouble as the back would step out ! I have had a few scary moments.

Thank you

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ref my troubles below. Can someone recommend a place near Newcastle that have the skill to troubleshoot and fix my problem ?

I do not want to use the dealer as I doubt they will sort it at the first go.

How about F1 Engineering, anyone used them ?

I dont mind paying the money for expert help.

Cheers

·
Vendor
46,125 Posts
My back end steps out when meeting a crest/bump mid-corner when driving quick. Its due to the stiffness of the coilovers I have fitted, the wheel bumps over the obstacle and the tyre momentarily loses grip - and once you have lost grip you won't retain it until you have slowed down some, which means my back end normally skips about 10 or 20 degrees around before the tyres dig back in again, which can be scary.

As mine is due to the coilovers, maybe yours is due to a spring/shock issue. Leaky/seized shock absorber?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Steve, GT rear tyre wear should be much lighter than the front. The fact that yours isn't and that you claim to be able to see a bent suspension arm means if it were me, I'd have the rear suspension checked over and accept any work that came as a result. I know on my old 147 quite a lot of rear suspension work was required at one point, mainly due to the fact that I bought the car off my dad and he isn't the sort that slows down for speed humps.......

I hope you get it sorted, but the rear tyre wear alone suggests to me that things are awry.

Jon :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jon,

I agree completely, its just finding somewhere to take it for checking. As I mention, I have no trust in the dealer.

Steve

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You might want to post this under General Alfa Discussion - just asking for a good indie around Newcastle. There must be one!

Jon :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts