Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carrying on from this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/140737-a-maf-questioned-not-asked-maybe.html I'm wanting advice on where to start with renewing my suspension.

I'm pretty sure (going by the annual Alfa SH) hardly anything has been renewed since the car was made. B-road driving can be worrying with far too much suspension travel; high speed cornering doesn't feel good and overall handling is not what I expect from this sort of car.

I would think that most parts - especially bushes and dampers - need replacing ASAP. Obviously I'm not about to dip into my pocket and cover the lot in one fell swoop, so where is the best place to start for maximum benefit and balance?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Plenty of threads on this storm. Do a search and see what you think. For my penny's worth a first start would be dampers and springs. These are not up to much anyway and do wear out at an alarming rate. Best combination (the one I have) is Koni Sports shocks and Eibach springs. The Konis are adjustable and you can set them up where you like it. Some folks prefer the Bilsteins. Coilovers are the ultimate but are v. expensive. For the Eibachs get the prokit version (20mm drop) this is quite enough, and the progressive springing is extremely impressive. They are, without doubt, the best and most professional springs in the world.

The shocks/springs you will find a dramatic improvement. You will be pleasantly 'shocked' (sorry) by the results. Do check though all suspension bushes. If they're fine then fair enough, but if any are worn then obviously replace. For front wishbones replace with OE as standard, if necessary. For the rear the choices open up. If the original rose-jointed springpans are worn, I would also go with originals. For the trailing arms most definitely uprate with powerflex bushes. They are quite incredible, and will sharpen up the handling no end.

Another very cheap, quick and extremely impressive mod is to fit a front strut brace. This really sharpens up the front at comparatively little cost. It is even more effective on a GTV than a 916 Spider. Definitely consider this easy upgrade.

Hope that helps. More detail could be added, lots to potentially discuss, but most definitely the best improvement you can do are those utterly dreadful OE dampers and springs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent advice, just what I needed.

Thanks very much. :thumbs:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts