Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've noticed a squeak over bumps and if I lean on/rock the nearside front area,I imagine a suspension squeak.

I had a new upper arm fitted a few weeks ago....is there any reason why a brand new suspension arm may squeak or have I just developed an annoying but coincidental issue in the same area?

cheers

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, well I would hope they weren't knockoffs that were fitted....might need to look at a set of lower arms and set aside a saturday morning with a bacon butty.

I've noticed the squeak seems to have given way to more of a scapey sound...so you might be right about lower arms :/

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I had brand new upper wishbones fitted to my 159 by Alfa Knaresborough and one of the new ones squeaked like a strangled mouse.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Spray some washing up liquid on one bush at a time to see which one is playing up.

It sometimes stops the noise temporarily.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I imagine that poor copies will not know the right tolerances so a squeak will happen because they are loose. It's quite difficult to design a suspension component that is not too tight (broken socket because too much load) versus too loose (the whole bearing moves). Stick with a unit that was originally supplied to Alfa but sourced directly to avoid Alfa mark up.

Do you know who supplied your squeaky unit?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I imagine that poor copies will not know the right tolerances so a squeak will happen because they are loose. It's quite difficult to design a suspension component that is not too tight (broken socket because too much load) versus too loose (the whole bearing moves). Stick with a unit that was originally supplied to Alfa but sourced directly to avoid Alfa mark up.

Do you know who supplied your squeaky unit?
got it fitted by MVC in sale, and I have no reason to suspect it isn't a genuine alfa part....the squeak has since given by to more of a metallic scrape sound so may in fact be a different component. the squeak only appeared briefly after having the car jacked up on axle stands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts