Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Set off this morning and could hear a rattling noise from what sounded like engine, so I pulled over. Lifted up bonnet and had a fiddle around and couldn't find anything. Set off again and hear more rattling before something fell off my car from bottom. Put hazards on reversed back to find it's my suspension which has snapped off from left side! Just cleaned car and looks spanking new, I guess I can't say same about underneath bodywork! Had a feel of the suspension and still feels solid so hopefully be ok to drive still.

Having read a few things on here, is it best to just upgrade to better suspension all round like the eibach? I was actually thinking about doing this as a potential mod (among lots of other things too!). There pretty expensive at £180 and then maybe £100 labour. Would I need to upgrade dampers aswell? have read that too or just stick with original stock.

Also, will the bumper scrape over speed bumps? I know there's something under that scrapes sometimes. This is what I'm worried about. I wouldn't have to go over speed bumps at like 5mph will I!? Ha

Have lots of q's about other things but I'll leave that for now. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Same happened to me last week. My trusted indi Alfa garage in Manchester just quoted me £290 for both springs and top mounts.
Mine snapped in exactly the same place as yours.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If your hands on with your car , there not diffilcult to do yourself , first one takes a couple of hours , then the second one will be half that .

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Bilstein B12 or Eibach complete units for around £600 for all four corners, to me that sounds cheap compared to new standard parts. Mine had a new front spring, i think that was £70 on its own.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
smartmac said:
Same happened to me last week. My trusted indi Alfa garage in Manchester just quoted me £290 for both springs and top mounts.
Mine snapped in exactly the same place as yours.
Is that mvc in sale by any chance? im in manchester and was wondering where to take my car for servicing etc. Do the top mounts have to be changed with the new springs too?

scubapower1 said:
If your hands on with your car , there not diffilcult to do yourself , first one takes a couple of hours , then the second one will be half that .
Never really had a go with cars, wish i could, not ideal where the driveway is and i'm not that confident to have a go on my own.

Rockhopper said:
Bilstein B12 or Eibach complete units for around £600 for all four corners, to me that sounds cheap compared to new standard parts. Mine had a new front spring, i think that was £70 on its own.
I thought just the dampers alone were around ~£600, then springs £200, then fitting £150-200. I was looking into dampers but cant afford that at the moment and dunno if i need to. its not like im planning on taking it on track etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put an order in last night for some Eibach springs pro kit and sort of regretting it. I dunno if its going to be too low and i'll be constantly scraping curbs and speedbumps. Not really fussed if it makes the ride a bit more firm - i can hardly tell as it is now. Probably because ive only driven two cars.

Also, i looked around and my rear suspension shows signs of rust near the bottom (just where this one snapped) so i would be changing all of them, whether it be with OE or Eibachs. Need advice please?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is MVC in Sale.

The mounts don't need to be done at the same time and he quoted me £125 per side without the mounts. The mounts seems to be an issue and maybe a can be a contributor to the springs snapping so he suggested to do them at the same time.
I have had a full service with belt and water pump last year. Brembo discs and pads last month. All done with them and the service has always been excellent and prices very competitive (Halfords quoted me £280 just for the springs using after market parts).

I don't want the car any lower that is why I decided against the Eibach. It already scraps everywhere as it is and the Eibach lower the car a further 3cm.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had the top mounts replaced when i had my eibach pro kit springs fitted about a year ago, my mito had only covered 14000 miles but as suggested its easier to change them while the springs are being swopped, i kept the original dampers and they seem fine, the ride is hardly changed although it wasn't great to start with, you do feel like the car is more planted on the road, even though its only 3cm lower! speedbumps and slopes don't seem to be a problem either, i drove to monaco and back last november and had no problems with the ride, although the french roads are much smoother than ours, and although you can't see them they are painted a cool red :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmm so you were! thought itd be more. I was probably looking at a kit with FDS i think there called. Are they better than bilstein? If I had more money id probably do that. Ahh well maybe in the future.
The konis FSD are brillant, highly recommended, best mod i did in my 155 tbi by far....
You can by them as an OEM part from the QV without active suspension (and cheaper)
There is a post with the parts numbers somewhere.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks to me like a manufacturing problem. They all appear to snap in the same place so maybe the coating is damaged during the building process. It's an Alfa problem.
We hope the new part is better but we don't know for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@smartmac - I'll keep MVC in mind. I will probably use them for my service this year. It's not the proper job, just an oil and filter change because i only do about 6000 miles in traffic etc.

@pookie - car looks a lot better lower. Are those 18" rims too?

@mike0105 - Yeah i noticed a lot of 155 tb too. Crappy Alfa parts. They just want our gorgeous cars to break down dont they!

Well, i'm at work but word is my Eibach have arrived from pumaspeed. However i got a quote for changing both front coils for £80 + labour. So im guessing total £150-180. This is for OE springs btw. Really dont know if to fit the OE or my Eibach. Main thing is how low it'll make it, considering i go over speed bumps constantly in manchester and i park in a multi storey car park with steepish slopes not sure its the right thing to do! I know pookie doesnt have problems with speedbumps etc but can anyone else with Eibachs voice their opinion!? Thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Its not just an Alfa problem, if you walk along most busy main roads you'll see no end of broken springs lying in the gutter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine went too, it's not just you. Just part and parcel of car ownership! My local garage quoted an hours labour but had to buy a pair of springs from a main dealer as they couldn't get a pair from ECP or similar.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Mines in the garage today with funny noises that I've have bet my life were coming from the back - turns out to be a broken front spring! It had one before I bought it as well. Luckily the broken bit was very close to the tyre but didn't actually touch it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
[QUOTE=LaMito

@pookie - car looks a lot better lower. Are those 18" rims too?

Yeah, i've had 18'' team dynamics imola wheels fitted, the ride on the original 16'' wheels that the car came with wasn't very good, i guess its because the mito is a small car with a short wheelbase, i'd fit the eibachs, they are better quality and should last longer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts