Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I have a question about the front suspension for an Alfa 147 1.6 TS:
Went for a check-up to my mechanic,and turns out that the nearside upper wishbone has a minor play in it. He said there's nothing to worry,but I want to change it.

My question is, would it be better to buy an original part,or just a cheap one from eBay/ eurocarparts and the like?
I don't want to have redo this after 6 months,so I am willing to pay a bit more but for a quality part.
Where can I buy something good,as on ECP's site there is only a choice of Moog or Starline.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
413 Posts
If there's play, change it. Better now than later. It will affect tyre wear.
Get TRW or similar. Moog is fine.
Remember to check wheel alignment.

And find yourself a new mechanic, since he doesn't believe suspension play matters...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the part on alfaworkshop site,any other suggestions?

The mechanic is close to where I live,and after all,the final decision is mine.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=491&sku=29634

Frankly they're all poor, it's inherent in the design. Rubber bushes rotating around metal collars is simply asking for trouble. You can mitigate by properly greasing the bushes and collars (pop them out) prior to fitting as they'll be delivered, from new, bordering on bone dry.

The quality of the balljoints vary but the bushes will let go way before that.

I've never heard of those available on ECP, stick with TRW, Delphi, Birth and you won't go far wrong. Bear in mind all makes require proper and regular greasing of the bushes.

Good luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the link,I did not know anything about Birth.
I normally spray them with a silicone spray from WD-40,about once a month,i started it because,like you said,the lower wishbones started to creak very slightly after a couple of months from replacement.
Ii isn't as good as popping them out and properly greasing them,but I don't have the knowledge,tools and space to do this properly.
Edit: I ordered the Birth part,thank you everyone,as always this forum makes owning an Alfa bearable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts