Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an Alfa 166TS and over the past year a problem has developed with the rear suspension.
Every time I go over a bump, the back of the car shakes from side to side. I changed the shocks thinking this was the problem but no change. Over the past 6 months I also changed, front upper and lower arms, both rear hubs(bushes had gone), and left rear arm (front bush felt a bit soft), but the problem is still there. Needles to say I had the suspension checked in two garages and did a laser allignment of the wheels. No problems found!

Also on hard braking the steering wheel moves left to right (not just to one side) and if the front right wheel goes over a white line (road marking) it pulls to the right. Car has 17", 225/45 tyres (less than a year old)

I had a 75 and a 164 before and never experienced anything like it.
Is this a quirk of the 166?

S

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem at the moment. Car is very skittish over small bumps. Sometimes even half into the next lane especially over manhole covers. Like you I've had the bushes checked and faulty ones replaced but no change. I'm thinking of trying Koni shocks to see if it helps. Going to speak to my local indy tomorrow who is very good and see if he can help.

Will let you know if I find a fix.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Are you sure tyre pressures are correct and of good quality? My manual says 39 psi for the 225/45x17 tyre. I find this too hard and run them at 35 - 36 psi. I have Bridgestone RE050 and Koni Sport dampers (yellow ones) set at minimum setting and ride is is on the good side of firm. Standard dampers are good to start with but deteriorate far too soon.
Also check springs are not tired out allowing contact with the bump stops.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, been checking pressures constantly. Like you initally was running around 35psi. Over past 3-4 months I make sure it is 39psi but little difference. Shocks are the standard ones, tyres Eagle F1s.

S

·
0 Posts
Sipe said:
Like you I've had the bushes checked and faulty ones replaced but no change.
Were you able to have the bushes replaced? Only the bushes? I thought that was quite a problem with a 166, getting the bushes separately I mean??

Sander

S

·
0 Posts
Sipe said:
Like you I've had the bushes checked and faulty ones replaced but no change.
Were you able to have the bushes replaced? Only the bushes? I thought that was quite a problem with a 166, getting the bushes separately I mean??

Sander

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By bushes, I meant the whole arm (unfortunately). I read in this forum that it is now possible to buy just the bushes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Georg said:
Every time I go over a bump, the back of the car shakes from side to side.
have done first 1k km with my 166 and have the same problem. Thinking of shocks change (Koni or Bilstein?) + powerflex + Eibach springs (not sure about this as I want to keep it as limo not sportscar). anyway I am very interested in you experience, 166 owners :)

Also on hard braking the steering wheel moves left to right
hmm.. sounds like a warp brake disks.

if the front right wheel goes over a white line (road marking) it pulls to the right. Car has 17", 225/45 tyres (less than a year old)
should be ok for fwd car with 225 tire. I can feel even dead fly on the road ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a pull to one side and took my car for 4 wheel alignment.

When I got the car back it was skittish over small bumps. Yuk! I could feel it straight away.

I took it back to the 4 wheel alignment centre - same again - they couldn't fix it!

I took it to another 4 wheel alignment centre - another £40! -

It drove Perfect!

You have to wonder if the alignment can have such a serious effect.

Hope it helps?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
363 Posts
In my experience with both my 164's, very sensitive to wheel align all round, tyre pressures and even sensitive to correct profile tyres.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a 164 which I drove for 6 years. Although had to do 4wheel allignment twice, rear arm bushes had gone and tyre pressures were frequently out, I never had such a problem.
(I still maintain the best handling car I had was the 75)

Interesting though that other 166 owners experience the same.

S

·
0 Posts
Sandyman said:

Sander
Aah sorry yes, I had to replace the whole arm. You can get them separately but with the hassle of getting them in and out I'd say better to get them as a full kit, which I should have done when I had the arm replaced.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Georg: have you solved problem?

And could you, experienced 166 users, please give short summary on suspension setup. What is the best price/performance/comfort?

I am thinking of Bilstein B6 + Eibach Pro (-30mm) + Powerflex bushes all around. Is this the right way to go? Will Bilsteins alone with original springs lower the car little bit?

·
Registered
397 Posts
elbee said:
Georg: have you solved problem?

And could you, experienced 166 users, please give short summary on suspension setup. What is the best price/performance/comfort?

I am thinking of Bilstein B6 + Eibach Pro (-30mm) + Powerflex bushes all around. Is this the right way to go? Will Bilsteins alone with original springs lower the car little bit?
I have Bilstein B6 with standard springs on a TS 166. Hugely improved control, roll and dive, everything, BUT NOTE; car sits if anything very slightly HIGHER than before. This is common. Suits me in any case for zooming over pad speed bumps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem still unsolved.
Had the old shocks tested with special machinery at a University and they are perfect! (I'll just clean them, and keep for future)

I booked the car for 4w allignment check and will report on result next week.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello folks!

I had the same problem and I have a friend who had the exakt same problem.

I went for a 4 wheel alignment last spring and told them my problem. They then adjusted the rearwheels so that they almost got 0mm toe in. Don't adjust them by the book! Then the rear end will get jumpy when riding over bumps in the road. So, put the rear wheels to almost 0mm toe in.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The original 166 accessories brochure shows optional lowered springs. Out of interest, does anyone on the forum have these fitted?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suspension problem fixed. :D
Many thanks to Gustav H for his suggestion.:)

Took the car for alignment. The garage did it according to spec but the rear was still skitish. I suggested they bring toe in to almost zero and hey presto! that was it.

I don't know how the car will behave when loaded (the toe changes as the suspension is pushed down). We'll see

1 - 20 of 24 Posts