Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding that the 155 is very 'skittery' over uneven surfaces. The back end seems to want to slide out very easily, especially when turning right. This is even at low speeds when going over uneven road, all the tyres have plenty of tread and the car hasn't been lowered nor is the ride particularly harsh. It feels just like my old e30 BMW used to, if I didn't know better I'd swear it was rear wheel drive!:confused:
Anybody have a similar issue?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
What tyres do you have on there? If they're "Oochi-Koochi" brand, made in Adis Ababa, then that may be one thing causing grip problems.

The suspension on the 155 is largely un-adjustable, so it's unlikely you have anything too much out of kilter. It's worth getting a 4-wheel alignment check done.. that will uncover if the tracking needs attention and tell you if camber is shot (though you can't adjust it).

Finally, if the dampers aren't fubar'd, have a look at the rear bushes. If the rear wheels have a lot of positive camber (i.e. the top of the wheel is leaning into the wheel-arch, when viewed from behind) then the rear bushes will need attention.. though usually camber makes a car more stable onder cornering, rather than less.. )

Ralf S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys,
I reckon it may well be the tyres I have on there. 'Made in Adis Ababa' pretty much sums them up! I have a new set of 17" shod in fresh pirelli's arriving next week, hopefully this will sort the sliding out. At the very least the car will look pretty sweet when i'm sliding sideways into a field....:lol:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If it's not wear in the pivot bearings or really poor tyres, and I mean really poor, then I'd say the rear suspension dampers are past their best.:rolleyes:
You are running 34-36 front and 32psi rear tyre pressures, aren't you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have it booked in for a check-up at the weekend, think you're right about the worn dampers though. I'll check the tyre pressure on the way to work but i don't think it's out by so much as to cause this sliding issue

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If you do end up getting replacement dampers, a word of caution. The rear dampers on the 155 can fit a number of applications. Because of this, the damper valving is set as a better compromise for these other more common applications. You could end up with new dampers which do no good. The way round this is to fit a upgrade sport damper, OEM damper from the dealer, or by ensuring the dampers do not have listings for various Fiats (although Fiat with sport suspension is ok). Only that way will you have a sufficiently firm damper which will reduce pich, roll and instability.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts