Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Recently bought my wife an 06 Brera 2.4jtdm, 80k with full history. I new about a few niggles with the car and have since sorted no problem. However there is a deafening squeak from under the chassis on all surfaces and in all condition's (can only describe as two pieces of polystyrene rubbing together) its so loud I can hear the car driving down our lane.

Its not confined to one area of the car, it sounds as if its coming from all four wheels and even under the centre of the car. After reading other posts I've had my mechanic grease the bushes with silicone based lube which was slightly quieter but only for a day or so. I am willing to replace the said bushes, in fact I'm willing to go to almost any length to solve this. The good lady has waited a lifetime to own this car (156, GT, 159 previously) and she is heartbroken. Please advise if you can guys, I'm desperate.

Grazie mille,

·
Registered
339 Posts
In the words of the great SH, more data!

Does the car make any noise when parked up and 'bouncing' the suspension - note you may need an assistant with a little, ahem, weight behind them to do this effectively.

Does it the volume level alter with speed?
Does the pitch of the sound change with speed?

Does the volume or frequency change with road surface?

Does it make any difference when accelerating or braking?
Does it make any difference when cornering?

Have you checked exhaust bushes?

What maintenance was done to the car prior to your purchase?

Mostly, why hasn't the garage you bought it off fixed this? They are automatically liable unless it's over 6 months since purchase regardless of warranty - SoGA...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply James, all sorted now.

Turns out the OS wishbone assembly was shot to pieces. My mechanic replaced at a cost of £300, the missus is delighted. Brera is running like a dream now, I bought the car privately and negotiated a real good price so the £300 was still a bargain. Cant put a price on a happy wife anyhow !

Thanks again for the response. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts