Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to do a DIY fit on my FSDs and have been on the learning curve ever since.

I have an issue with the diameter of the rod at the top of the damper. The original is 10mm and so is the hole in the rubber incased mounting plate which is the very top of the assembled strut.

The koni damper has a 12mm rod and they have handly supplied a new collar to be inserted into the top mounting plate with a nice little diagram showing the old 10mm one popping out.

I cannot get this collar to budge and am not convinced it is detachable from the plate. From the top view it looks like the replacement koni collar but from the damper side it looks like its part of the plate.

Anyone got ideas on how to shift it? Is there a version of this plate that does not have a detachable collar?

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: Suspension Fitting (Koni FSD)

squirt it with wd40 , get something thats the same size as the collar and hit it with a hammer.........it will come out

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks rigsby, that did it.

I found a 8mm socket had the same outer diameter (around 14mm) and slammed it with a hammer.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts

Is it much of a job to do it yourself? My FSDs should be coming already fitted to the Eibach springs (thanks!), so for me just a case of bolting off the old coilover and bolting on the new spring and shock?

·
Registered
651 Posts

nice one!...........good luck with the rest of it. Did mine a few weeks ago and was an absolute nightmare, but was quite proud when all finished.................took me 4 days mind:eek: blow torch, grinder,drill and alot of swearing, sulking and tantrums:lol:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

nice one!...........good luck with the rest of it. Did mine a few weeks ago and was an absolute nightmare, but was quite proud when all finished.................took me 4 days mind:eek: blow torch, grinder,drill and alot of swearing, sulking and tantrums:lol:
You said it, I think the neighbours are now moving cos of the torrent of abuse flowing from my garage. It seems to be one unexpected hurdle followed by another and no matter how hard a swear they just keep coming.

Now I have the strut reassembled I need to torque the top nut but after it becomes flush with the top of the rod the whole damper rod turns. There seems to be an indent for an allen key in the top of the rod but I can't reach that with a socket in place. I guess I need a ring spanner but then how do I torque it? ******.

I have also got no idea how to get the bottom of the strut into the alloy fork since it seems to be longer than the one that came out. Hopefully David Copperfield will be coming to town soon.

Is it much of a job to do it yourself? My FSDs should be coming already fitted to the Eibach springs (thanks!), so for me just a case of bolting off the old coilover and bolting on the new spring and shock?
In theory its just nuts and bolts but in practice its a bit of a pain. You need to have the right tools (and I have to keep going out to buy more) sockets, hex sockets, deep sockets - you need lots of wd40, the arms of a gorilla and a blow torch to shift some of the bolts - though watch out as WD40 is flammable.

I have read several accounts where folks order new drop links and grind the old ones off since budging them may be impossible. The one I have done so far came off OK but then it was only replaced last year. The rears are notoriously difficult.

I'd have to be honest and say if I knew before what I know now and hadn't invested in the tools - this one would be handed off to a garage.

H

·
0 Posts

do you have any pics?

im gonna do this at some point, and upper wishbones too.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You want pics of me swearing ?:)

I am going to get the camera out when I tackle the other side and will do a write up after the jobs done (front and back). Things would be a lot smoother if I had the tools and know-how to hand.

Right now the car is in bits in the garage whilst I wait for a deep socket set to arrive so that I can grind flats on the outside and use it to torque the new shock. This is just the front one too, the back being much deeper in the recess and a different size of course.

Last night I was just contemplating hacking the rubber off the top of the mount since it can't serve any real purpose! Decided not to bodge the job though.

BTW I got my GTA FSDs from Larkspeed for £399 including vat and delivery. You need to phone them for their best price.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

I'm so glad that I paid someone to fit mine :thumbs: ...

... why are FSDs for the GTA so much cheaper than the FSDs for "normal" 156s????

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts

Chris, no idea but you can just buy and fit the GTA ones to normal 156. Its only a valve in the rear shock thats different, not the fitting of the unit.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

Chris, no idea but you can just buy and fit the GTA ones to normal 156. Its only a valve in the rear shock thats different, not the fitting of the unit.

Gutted ... could of saved myself £100!!! ... but what does this valve do???

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts

Gutted ... could of saved myself £100!!! ... but what does this valve do???
I think it slightly stiffens the rear bump damping, to work better with the lower standard springs on the GTA.

H

·
0 Posts

gwales where about do you live? geez a shout if u need any other tools, ive got loads

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

gwales where about do you live? geez a shout if u need any other tools, ive got loads
Very decent of you - I'm in South Queensferry.

Got a set of deep sockets and an angle grinder arriving today and that should be me set for pushing on over the weekend.

I'm going to be tentative with the rears - if the drop links won't budge then I'll need new ones. I'll give you a full heads up once the jobs done!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Moved to the GTA section:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the fronts on at the weekend - what a difference.

I took a drive down a local B road that has some awful patches. On approach I was doing my usual grit teeth and brace for impact - needn't have bothered. Went over the rough surface without jarring.

It is weird driving with the old shocks still on the back as you can feel the difference. When going over the speed humps approaching home the front glides over the back crashes over.

Car is back in the garage on jacks with the boot half dismantled. Rears should be completed by this weekend and then I'll do a write up. I have hols coming up a week on Sunday so may not get pen to paper before the off ....

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Brilliant aren't they? :)

Can't wait to get mine..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Job is now done and I have posted a how to here

I am really chuffed I did this myself and the results are well worth it. I have no idea why I didn't do this ages ago. £400 and a weekend and the car is transformed.

You lose all of the crashy harsh ride and the car can now tackle rough sections without a worry. Fast cornering also seems improved but with all the rain of late I haven't delved very deep into any bends yet.

Now I need a Q2 ......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts