Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday when driving on a slow road, luckily behind a slow car, my suspension gave way and the wheel locked, forcing me to the yellow line! :vomit:

Seems the front bracket/anchor point on my left front wishbone tore, pushing the whole assembly to the back, and jamming my wheel into the fender.

Praise to Jesus for keeping me safe! :thumbs:

I hit no potholes or obstacles in the near past, so i.m.o it is metal fatique.
Had to wait 2 hours for a rollback from Nelspruit, and will have it taken to AR for a quote, and to be hopefully repaired under my Innovation MotoDrive 3 extended guarantee plan...

Give me your opinion and what other damages there might be. I noticed oil draining, and think it might be from the gearbox as the sideshaft is not in place anymore. F%^$...

I could not have a good look as the car is low, and it was raining and I was wearing my white Gta shirt....

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm sure folk who know more than me will be along to comment, but why is there no trace of a bolt in the outer wishbone mount? If it had snapped I wouldv'e expected it still in the threads. Has it been missing all along?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Difficult to say what exactly happened.

I would guess the outer bolt was not tight and worked loose/out in time. During this time the inner bolt were tight, this caused the bracket to repeatedly bend just next to the inner bolt and in time it work hardened enough to break at this spot.

Eben, didn't you have a slight knock from the suspension?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bolt where it sheared off is still attached on crossmember.
Corrie, yes, but I have that thud/knocking sound from both sides. Had a company quote in recent times and had AR look at both sides, confirming the lower wishbone bushes are worn and needs replacement.
But your theory might very well be correct, as I can see no damage to the outer nut where that bolt was supposed to be!

Do you think the seal where the sideshaft enters would have gotten damage, as well as the steering rack shaft side?

I am shuddering at the though of a high repair bill.
If I were in Pta, I would have you or TN look at it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If the outer bolt pulled through the threads in the nut they would either be stripped inside the nut or have the threads from the bolt inside the nut. As corriedw said, if it was only held on 1 end it would flex and eventually shear, leaving the inner bolt and nut still in the cross member. It does look the outer bolt fell out some time back.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mmm.... I've picked up a small knock in the front suspension.

TN, you guys open this week? If so I may call you to arrange a quick check out for me.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Ja the knock could very well come from a worn ball joint but these bolts should be checked as they are quite important.

You can check the inner CV boot, or better while the shaft is out, replace it and you'll have peace of mind.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I wanted to ask if there was noise before this...susp noise is not to be taken lightly!

But you're ok and you were not traveling at speeds that one would expect a GTA to travel at.

Pereby take note...replace this too lol

P

·
0 Posts
Guili, dont make me even more paranoid..

I am already imagining things.. Could have sworn I heard a knocking noise left front this morning...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
mmm.... I've picked up a small knock in the front suspension.

TN, you guys open this week? If so I may call you to arrange a quick check out for me.
We are open till Thursday.:thumbs:
It is easy enough to check so all of us should check it on our cars to be safe.
I haven’t seen that happen before but like Corrie said the outer bolt wasn’t fastened properly (or over fastened and stripped) and worked itself out and them metal fatigue did the rest.
The Side shaft should pop back in and if you have to replace the seal it’s not that difficult to do.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Guys those lower control arms on 155/156/146/145/147, only last about 100 000kms and thats at best, if u hear a clonking noise as u go over a speed bump or undulation on the road, they are around R700 a piece, dont take a chance, REPLACE THEM, guys like turbonutters can do them quick and you are on your way, DONT drive around with them in bad nick u looking for trouble!
Eben, glad to see u OK, your car was an ex cop car, so it may have had some trauma at some stage that caused a stress fracture, but if they were making a noise, that ment they where finnished in any case.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Eben...it looks like that GTA has a moerse spacer and some SERIOUS RACE camber on...lol!!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I agree especially on the 156 and 147 the older ones last a bit longer.:thumbs:
Frost the price you quote is for the older cars 155 to GTV the 156 147 units are almost double that piece.
Unless you know someone I don’t in that case please send me the details.:lol:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Appologies, I only know the older ones cost that, didnt actually realise the 156 ones were different, but still, REPLACE THEM! it just aint worth it not to

P

·
0 Posts
Turbo.. seems like you gonna get a lot of business out of me :cheese:

Will bring my car for the control arms too at some stage.. Gonna park the GTA for a while and drive the Giulietta and once I am ready ill bring the GTA for control arms, and fluids flush!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
When you bring it for the fluids we can check the control arms for you.:thumbs:
What happened to ysman isn’t the norm we haven’t seen one fail like that before.
We did find a lot with the bolts loose or stripped since the agents tend to use Air wrenches when they work on the suspension. :rant:
You can disassemble with one but never reassemble that should be done by hand.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree especially on the 156 and 147 the older ones last a bit longer.:thumbs:
Frost the price you quote is for the older cars 155 to GTV the 156 147 units are almost double that piece.
Unless you know someone I don’t in that case please send me the details.:lol:
Yep last price on those were R1280 excl.
Car is now at RMI/AA approved workshop/panelbeater for a quote. I just hope the guarantee will pay out. I already have my gloves on,...and if need be, the gloves will come off also... :lol:

Yes, guys, I could have been very very ugly since it was raining also. But I have done a roll in a 156, and know where to put my head.... :(

@ Guili.. :lol: Yes, nice camber, just a bit late to come out, was on our way home...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts