Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, all!
The front near side suspension on my 2008 159 1.9 diesel (70,000 miles) has started to creak. My local independent has identified the ball joint as the source of the problem but has been unable to persuade silicone lubricant to penetrate and is indicating that the lower suspension arm will need replacing (at least, I think that's what he said). Is it possible to lubricate with a silicone in an aerosol - if such a thing exists - or will I need to go ahead with a replacement part. If it's the latter, does it need to be an AR part or is there an equivalent aftermarket unit?
As always, I'd welcome comment, advice, etc., from the many experts on this forum!
Regards to all

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good evening, all!
Any further thoughts greatly appreciated, I need to make to the most cost- effective decision before too long.
Regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Snap!

Mine is doing the same but on drivers side!

Has been doing for last couple of weeks and become increasingly louder.
Had it up on sticks yesterday and blasted every joint, bush, component in sight with some silo one spray and tried to work in as best as possible with turning the steering wheel as much I dare whilst up, then when down with wheel back on drove up and down, wiggling wheel etc. to work in.

Result, as stated by a few other threads I have seen on here, bugger all affect!

Does yours squeak going from full lock to full lock? Mine does, and over bumps and everything.

Will it def be the ball joint or could it be another component/bush or a combination?
Is there a step by step guide to DIY change them anywhere? Perhaps progressing from cheapest options first and progressing through?!

I have cam belt due, a knock just developed on O/S/f when turning at low speed and a cracked windscreen all in the last week, oh and the sqeak! Going to be a painful month for the wallet!

:eek::cry:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Done this recently the ball joint is the hardest part as the bolt wedges itself on so you will need a ball joint splitter from Halford about 14 quid

you can compress the springs to get the bolts out without removing the whole damn thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts