Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday evening I got a funny sound like a flat tyre, pulled over and all seemed fine so carried on but the problem was still there. I noticed today that the car would only make the noise turning right suggesting maybe a wheel bearing on the back left hand side although when the fronts went they made a squeek rather than thud.

Tonight to my horror, after smelling burning rubber while driving, that the suspension has sort of collapsed on my rear left wheel! The photos are below. The tyre is very soft and worn on the side its rubbing and I won't be driving it anymore until its been to the garage.

Any idea what part is at fault from these poor quality photos (One is normal side and one is collapsed side)?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Spring platform on the damper has rusted & failed.

You need a new pair of rear dampers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what I need after spending over £1,000 on new uppers arms, drop links and rod ends at the front, MOT and Cambelt change last month.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah 2 rear absorbers are £146 delivered which isn't too bad. I will take the car to the garage tomorrow and get them to double check whats needed and get them to order them from there unless they can find them cheaper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garage confirmed it was indeed a rusted damper which failed - Cost for repair including 2 new dampers and labour was £253. Only problem is they called back at the end of the day to say the bolts are completely seized and won't budge so need new bolts both sides and obviously more labour costs - Not sure exactly how much but they are phoning to confirm in the morning but hopefully minimal labour plus the bolts which are about £12.50 from alfa each.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
The long bolt at the base of the damper that the link rods attach to it a common issue.
Quite often bent too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The long bolt at the base of the damper that the link rods attach to it a common issue.
Quite often bent too.
Just had a call this morning to confirm that new bolts are needed at the top and bottom plus a couple of replacement bushes and sleaves for something but can't remember exactly what.

Adding the cost of the bolts, washers, bushes and sleeves plus an extra £30 labour to the existing work bring the total to £373.00 which is alot less than I feel it could have been so not too bad after all.

G

·
0 Posts
Look on the upside James... You aren't going to get any hassle from suspension and cam belt for a good long while and the handling will be dramatically improved... So you will fall in love with the car all over again;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what I keep trying to tell myself. MOT gives it another year of roadworthiness and the Cambelt means no big service for another 3 years :thumbs:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No the garage ordered from their parts company as could get them there the same day. If I knew there would be other parts needed which delayed it another day anyway I would have ordered from them. No idea on the brand but they always use official parts where possible or good quality alternatives if not available. I will ask the brand when I pick her up tomorrow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Offside rear went on mine a couple of days ago. Car being recovered by the RAC. I have never had a strut collapse like this on any car I have ever owned. Can I trust this car any more?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yes. Old cars get cheaper because they need things doing. Do them and they're fine. Don't do them and pretty soon it's too expensive to do anything except crush the car and buy another. Rinse and repeat. Pick the right old car that will become a classic, and you might even make a profit. Not that I ever have, but I've kept a few vehicles for 12-25 years, and it's the cheapest way possible. Just try not to buy a car that's been neglected and abused by a previous owner.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kinda have the same problem cooking up,struts getting rusty and i fear i could be next. I noticed the base of the strut,where the spring rests,is getting deformed because of the rust. Also,spring is slightly corroded-or at least i hope it is only slightly,no way i can estimate how deep it goes.
Like people above said,only normal with older cars. The alternative would be to buy another car,but i only think that the owner had some problems,knows they will occur again,and want to get rid of it. Not to many people sell used cars in perfect condition. With my luck,i would have to replace the same parts as on mine,and then some more.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Found the parts on shop4 parts, both rear struts and springs 160 pounds. Question is-what bolts do i need to buy,upper and lower,as i cannot find them?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts