Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was taking my other half for a hospital appointment, after about 3 miles there was a clunk and a huge cloud of smoke coming out the back! I pulled over to find that the the collar that supports the near side rear spring had collapsed and the collar/spring was in contact with the top of the tyre! Fortunately I was able to remove the wheel and fit the space saver which gave just enough room to clear the damaged parts so I could get home!

Anyway, So obviously I'm going to replace both rear shocks and maybe the springs too. So I was thinking, I may as well do the front and upgrade to better suspension, as I've read somewhere that it can really improve the ride on the GT. But the trouble is I don't really want to lower it (as I'm too old for that sort of thing!!) and all the kits I've seen include lowering. Do you guys have any recommendations for a kit that is also at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Think now I'd go for Bilstein B6 (possibly even B8) to get the monotube dampers (inverted monotube on the back).

V

·
0 Posts
If you can stretch to a set of Eibach Pro S coilovers you won't be disappointed. I have mine set towards their higher height - they're not too low and they're not too harsh. And they handle like a dream. You ought to also factor in the cost of the matching (or at least, uprated) ARBs.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Think now I'd go for Bilstein B6 (possibly even B8) to get the monotube dampers (inverted monotube on the back).
I thought B6/B8s are generally a lot firmer, and not so well recieved by those that were seeking a better ride.. As I understood it, B4s were more or less direct OEM replacement if not a little bit better..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really after something that improves the ride as I find the original stiff enough but feel that, if anything, it's a little over damped. It tends to crash over bumps and pot holes a bit too much for my liking! But that's just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks guys. Anyone tried the AP coilovers?
Why not save yourself some cash and go for the AP Sports kit rather than coilovers?

AP are generally rated pretty highly, especially for their price point. And, for your requirements, I would say that coilovers don't seem to suit your needs but a nice sports suspension setup should do just nicely.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought B6/B8s are generally a lot firmer, and not so well recieved by those that were seeking a better ride.. As I understood it, B4s were more or less direct OEM replacement if not a little bit better..
I'm really after something that improves the ride as I find the original stiff enough but feel that, if anything, it's a little over damped. It tends to crash over bumps and pot holes a bit too much for my liking! But that's just my opinion and I'm by no means an expert!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not save yourself some cash and go for the AP Sports kit rather than coilovers?

AP are generally rated pretty highly, especially for their price point. And, for your requirements, I would say that coilovers don't seem to suit your needs but a nice sports suspension setup should do just nicely.
I too haven't read anything bad about AP yet. So it might be an option. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Have you ever replaced bushes? Very worn lower arm bushes will give a crashy ride. kW coil overs have adjustable height, you can play with it and see what you like. Entry level kit £799, bit more money gives you adjustable compression and rebound damping. I have no personal experience but this is what I will get on my GT.

·
Registered
38,678 Posts
Crashing over bumps is usually a sign of underdamping.

Alfa tend to fit stiff springs with dampers which are slightly underdamped. Add a few miles and some wear on the dampers and you can end up with a fidgety/crashy ride.

If you keep the standard springs and fit either bilstein B4 or B6 you should get a ride and handling improvement.

The B4 they are a direct replacement (but better), so no issues with insurance. The B6 may be classed as a modification because they are uprated.

As others have said check the rest of your suspension as well. It will save you time and money to get all of the bits done at the same time.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
B6 are also designed for shorter springs .. shortened piston rods ..

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
B6 are also designed for shorter springs .. shortened piston rods ..
According to Bilstein, B6 are for std chassis, B8 are for sports suspension.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
My back shocks failed in the exact same way as yours. Thought I'd get away with new shocks only but taking everything apart it became apparent that it was sensible to change everything including the 4 arms. I also found my floor pan wasn't as solid as it looked.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My back shocks failed in the exact same way as yours. Thought I'd get away with new shocks only but taking everything apart it became apparent that it was sensible to change everything including the 4 arms. I also found my floor pan wasn't as solid as it looked.
Been there with my floor already, some years ago in fact! Had to cut it out at the back and make good. Did post it on here somewhere. I'll be changing the suspension myself so will check the arms etc while I'm there.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Couldn't get the big bolt out. I paid for a garage to do mine. They always need space in a garage so didn't want my car backlogging the ramp. If you're doing this yourself lots of plus gas and patience may reward you with success and save you replacing all the parts. Good luck.
By the way I had standard shocks and eibach pro springs. The rear now has Munro. Can't say I notice much difference to the ride to be honest.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Rear struts rusting through is quite common on these cars (as it is with 156s and 147s too, of course). When you replace the rear shocks, I would strongly recommend that you also replace the long lower bolt; it's common that they are slightly bent, even when they come out easily... which is not often!

With regard to improving the ride, it's important to remember that this is an old car, and the ride wasn't exactly class-leading back in 2004. Before getting carried away with uprating your suspension, it'd be a good idea to thoroughly check everything else, particularly the state of the front lower wishbones which are particularly prone to wear, especially on the diesels. Pay special attention to the rear bush on the lower wishbone; it can be badly worn without any major visible deterioration; in fact they are rarely picked up on MOT tests, even though they are worn out.

Out of interest, what size wheels are you running?

Over the years I've fitted numerous different suspension set-ups to customer's cars, and coil-overs seem to be the least satisfactory for the more "average" driver. Koni FSD shock absorbers seem to be well-liked by people who use the car as their everyday transport.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts