Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Have you had to replace suspension bushes before you would expect to have to?

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a public service I thought it might be interesting to see if the well known problem of worn suspension bushes on 156's and 147's was a problem unique to the UK. It has been said by some that it is down to our road conditions, cambers potholes speed bumps etc.
So could we have as many returns a spossible from a worlwide audience? :)

It's a public Poll, but I'm sure you don't have a secret bush replacement fettish ;) .

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I voted no, because I thought not needing to change them on my T-Spark after 4 1/2 years on bad roads was fairly okay for a car with a firm suspension.

TB

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Replaced both front and rear wisbones on my 5 year old Tspark , ie. also the bushes, after 90,000 km. However, given how I drive and the state of the roads here in CR, I am not surprised by this and voted NO.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Dealer replaced both on my 147, front at 24,000 miles, and rear at less than 12,000 miles under warranty, their diagnosis. I didn't report any problems.

When I said I was surprised the service receptionist just said "they needed doing".

I assumed rightly or wrongly this was a precaution rather than wear. Road surfaces locally are particularly bad. Can they show wear at these low mileages? Or were the bush's design improved and a re-work instigated by either the dealer or Alfa UK?

I believe my 36,000 mile 145 probably needed them replaced also but never hearing of the problem (passed MOT ok) they were not done.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My car will be serviced next week (speedo reads 45,000 miles) so will see how they are standing up as they have now done a further 21,000 (front) and 33,000 (rear) miles since they were replaced.

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
I had both front upper suspension arms replaced on my 156 Twinny when the car was 6 years old and had covered 51,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Bush history of my GTV 3.0 ...

Spring pan bushes on rear N/S needed at 25k/just over 3yrs (& caused unevenly worn, noisy tyre)
Front wishbones (bushes and balljoints gone) at 28k/3.5yrs (wore out front tyres in 7k)
Just replaced remaining rear bushes at 37k/4.25 yrs (sounds like another uneven tyre too)

I do too much town driving but am very cautious with speed bumps, avoiding potholes/manholes. Think this is pretty shoddy, especially as powerflexes don't wear out and don't seem to unduly affect handling/ride.

I also know a 147 driver who needed front wishbones at 12k/less than 2yrs - and an M3 that needed bushes throughout at 14k :D ;)

·
Registered
26,082 Posts
vamos said:
Replaced both front and rear wisbones on my 5 year old Tspark , ie. also the bushes, after 90,000 km. However, given how I drive and the state of the roads here in CR, I am not surprised by this and voted NO.
Voted Yes, other countries - although it's not bushes: front stabilizer was replaced after 20.000 km (12.000 miles or thereabouts). I thought that was a bit quickish...
Getting squeaky noises from rear end now.... Oh boy...

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sample is still too small.
Can we keep it to just 147's and 156's (Gt I suppose as well) and bushes in particular. The GTV's suspension is a very differant animal, I was trying to see if the bush problem on 156 derived chassis was specific to the UK only.

All very scientific you see :) :D

A

·
0 Posts
I voted yes too. The excuse of them failing is a darn right cop out by Alfa Romeo and you do not deserve the business by producing bushes made of paper. :rant:

I stand to solute Alfa Romeo on many things they have done, but the suspension bushes are not one of them. They are seriously crap. When cars are R&D'd, they should be punished far far more than the cars throughout the world go through in real life...thats the point of R&D. Now I know Alfa Romeo are small, but they are largely funded by Fiat and should have the backing to test and produce bushes much more adequate than they are today.

On a more sypathic view, I guess all cars have their failings and with Alfa's it appears the suspension is its archilies heal.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Had my 96 155 1.8 TS 16V serviced last week, she's at ~150,000km, and had to get new front suspension arms, bushes and shocks.

I don't think they ever were replaced before, but the car spent its first 98,000km on proper Northern Italian roads. Roads around Naples are properly _covered_ with potholes, wild speed bumps and badly patched roadwork. So I voted No.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts