Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptoms are:

- Unsteady idle, quite juddery and bounces around a bit.
- Revs sometimes go upto 1500 for a while.
- Much reduced power low down. (kangaroos in traffic at low speeds)
- Rubbish fuel economy

Anyone any other suggestions as to what it might be? ro do I just change the cat?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
if the cat had collapsed then it would idle, but as soon as you touch the throttle it would stall, did on the punto anyway.

sounds alot like a MAF issue to me? you tried unplugging it, then driving it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the Cat has collapsed, it'll probably be rattling like a gud 'un. Usually on tick over or on throttle off. Mine was weak on MOT in November, now rattling a lot. Same story on my 156.

MAF is known to fail or get dirty, also might be the lambda sensor dirty or on the way out.

Could be fuel metering?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
If the Cat has collapsed, it'll probably be rattling like a gud 'un. Usually on tick over or on throttle off. Mine was weak on MOT in November, now rattling a lot. Same story on my 156.

MAF is known to fail or get dirty, also might be the lambda sensor dirty or on the way out.

Could be fuel metering?
mine didnt rattle till you smacked it with something:lol:

but yeah id go with maf 1st:thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just been through the MOT and emmissions are well below requirements - so that really rules out Lambda. (Also tested them on a multimeter and they are switching between 0.3 - 0.9 Volts. Spec states 0.2-0.8V so i'd assume they are ok)
MAF wise thought that affected higher up the rev range + stopped it reving? Mine revs fine right through to red line. Just no power at low end at all.(Feels kind of breathless as a way to describe it)
MAF also unplugged with no change.
Engine light has flashed on briefly a couple of times under hard acceleration.
There is some rattling from underneath but cant tell if it is just the heatshield.

'Stumped'

Cheers

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got alfa diag and waiting for the cable - see if anything has been recorded.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i've got the same problem. I have changed the MAF & Lambda (both bosch parts) but to no avail.
How much more money do i have to spend on this damn (yet beautiful) car:mad:
The only thing i have not changed is the ecu and throttle idle valve.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Just been through the MOT and emmissions are well below requirements - so that really rules out Lambda. (Also tested them on a multimeter and they are switching between 0.3 - 0.9 Volts. Spec states 0.2-0.8V so i'd assume they are ok)
MAF wise thought that affected higher up the rev range + stopped it reving? Mine revs fine right through to red line. Just no power at low end at all.(Feels kind of breathless as a way to describe it)
MAF also unplugged with no change.
Engine light has flashed on briefly a couple of times under hard acceleration.
There is some rattling from underneath but cant tell if it is just the heatshield.

'Stumped'

Cheers
small hole in the flexi bit of exhaust?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the thoughts chaps.

Intakes all changed over to silicon/alloy + exhaust flexis are only 12 months old so cant see they have failed already.
Might disconnect the cat tomorrow see if it improves anything
Becoming rather an annoying problem to find.
Hopefully alfadiag might give some clues

Fingers crossed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts