Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Surely if it's flood damage can claim on insurance? What would happen if, for instance, your car was parked near a beach and the sea smashed into??

All I am saying is this.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Haha, I think you are spot on there! It's either that or a stick which sits in the car which is marked at intake height which I can deploy before entering puddles! Or the pop the hose off the top of the airbox trick I've subsequently learned...

Surely if it's flood damage can claim on insurance? What would happen if, for instance, your car was parked near a beach and the sea smashed into??

All I am saying is this.
It may not be covered if you voluntarily drive into the water having misjudged the depth. It's significantly different to parked car being inundated by rising water. In any event, it's kind of academic because by the time you account for excess (£250 I think, possible £350) the value I'd get back even if it was covered would be immediately wiped out in lost no claims, so nothing to be gained from a claim.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
It may not be covered if you voluntarily drive into the water having misjudged the depth. It's significantly different to parked car being inundated by rising water. In any event, it's kind of academic because by the time you account for excess (£250 I think, possible £350) the value I'd get back even if it was covered would be immediately wiped out in lost no claims, so nothing to be gained from a claim.
It is usually covered if you drive into flood water, its not much different to driving into a wall or another car from the insurance's perspective. But your 156 can't be worth more than £700-800 book value, they'd just write it off. If it was a ten grand car needing 3 or 4 grand's worth of engine work it'd be worth claiming but in your case, you'd not get much after they take off the excess and then they'd recoup it in higher premiums for the next few years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You're right, no mention in the policy docs of an exclusion for damage caused by flood foolishness. It was recovery insurance I was thinking of which does exclude for self-inflicted flood trouble, or at least some do. Excess is £350 though, so would definitely have lost any pay out very quickly in lost no claims.

As for the ebay car, a mate from (original) home down there went to have a look tonight and I'm glad he did. As the pics below show the front end is a bit of a mess, something which was strangely not mentioned in the listing. The state of it is pretty much enough to put me off on its own, not to mention the general lack of confidence I now have in the accuracy of the description!

Attachments

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Looks pretty bad. Could just be a careless parker regularly nosing the car into a high kerb. But does show a lack of love for the car to drive around with it looking like that. Might still not be a bad motor.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Crikey, bit of a mess that, would put me off going to look at it as well, even though it may be a decent car.

Sure something will turn up soon enough.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
You're right, no mention in the policy docs of an exclusion for damage caused by flood foolishness. It was recovery insurance I was thinking of which does exclude for self-inflicted flood trouble, or at least some do. Excess is £350 though, so would definitely have lost any pay out very quickly in lost no claims.

As for the ebay car, a mate from (original) home down there went to have a look tonight and I'm glad he did. As the pics below show the front end is a bit of a mess, something which was strangely not mentioned in the listing. The state of it is pretty much enough to put me off on its own, not to mention the general lack of confidence I now have in the accuracy of the description!
That guy does not slow down for speed bumps, does he.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Time for an update on this as it's been an eventful week! Wednesday morning I was minding my own business driving to work when there was a loud bang and lots of smoke. Stopped the car, had a look underneath and there's a hole in the sump and a very large crack, and the contents of said sump all over the road.

The RAC, pretty much from when I first rang them, decided that it had been caused by something flying up from the road, despite me saying there hadn't been anything in the road in the first place. As a result, they refused to provide recovery as they deemed it to be an accident. Well, they did offer to provide recovery, as long as I gave them an additional £170 first. This was to travel 3 miles back home. They got a no to that offer, as fortunately there was a guy setting up temporary lights who helped out and gave me a tow up to the nearby garage I use from time to time.

I got a sump from Auto Lusso which arrived at the garage today, when they went to fit it they discovered that what had actually happened was No4 con rod had had enough of being in a water damaged engine, and decided it was going to smash its way out of the block and take the sump with it. Safe to say the car is, for the time being, very much dead. I'm going to get a tow home tomorrow and then further consider Ed's very kind offer to assist with an engine swap at some point!

In the meantime, I think I'll be relieving Dan of one of his courtesy cars which he's willing to sell my way so I'll have a mechanically spot on 156 to get me to work and back. I'll also await what the RAC have to say in response to the somewhat unhappy message I have sent their way this evening!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Unlucky, I guess you know it may be on the way but still a pain.

If you do get sorted with an engine at some point, do give a shout, will be more than happy to help.

Hope the rest of your weekend goes better:thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I've been happily driving around in the replacement 156 1.9 16v, enjoying the additional speed and economy. Last couple of days though I've noticed a significant oil leak in front of driver side front wheel, I'm guessing it's the oil cooler pipe corrosion issue? Is this an easy thing to change, and how much is the part likely to cost? Given the rate it is leaking I fear it needs doing pretty damn quick. Pic should hopefully show it, you can see the oil pooled on the underside of the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Yeah thats the oil cooler, they tend to go where the pipe meets the rad.
Not a bad job to change, apart from the obvious corroded bolts etc, probably doable without removing the bumper tbh, but they are not cheap, about £180 for the rad and probably same again for the pipes, but Autolusso do a kit for about £220 to replace the lot.
Autolusso - Oil Coolers

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah thats the oil cooler, they tend to go where the pipe meets the rad.
Not a bad job to change, apart from the obvious corroded bolts etc, probably doable without removing the bumper tbh, but they are not cheap, about £180 for the rad and probably same again for the pipes, but Autolusso do a kit for about £220 to replace the lot.
Autolusso - Oil Coolers
Crap, really could do with not having to spend that much, I'm not planning on keeping the car too long. Will try and have a proper look underneath at some point today to see how bad it is, but to be honest given the drip rate I think pretty bad is the answer.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Crap, really could do with not having to spend that much, I'm not planning on keeping the car too long. Will try and have a proper look underneath at some point today to see how bad it is, but to be honest given the drip rate I think pretty bad is the answer.
I think I've got a good used pair of pipes & cooler, will check tomorrow when I'm back in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think I've got a good used pair of pipes & cooler, will check tomorrow when I'm back in.
Cheers Dan, that would be really good. I'll give you a bell tomorrow to check and get a price for them plus fitting, I can't see myself having any time to do it myself given that work is flowing over into the weekend at the moment - makes me very popular with the Mrs on mothers' day!

Did have a quick look underneath, cleaned it all up and then turned the engine on, the leak is where the tip of the arrow is on the pic below. It's not leaking when not under pressure. For a bonus there's also a leak at the other end, near the filter, so it clearly needs doing. I also discovered that with the wheel in the air the hub will turn even when not in gear, which is something I didn't know but was reassured to discover is perfectly normal!

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Probably about time I update this. After too much time trawling auto trader, ebay etc, I figured for what I was planning on spending on a replacement which would probably need work anyway I could instead sort out the broken one, which would result in a properly sorted 156 plus change. A donor car was therefore purchased for all of £250, and that was driven over to Auto Lusso with the poorly one going on a trailer.

The donor gave up its 2.0l TS (upgrade on the dead 1.8), plus gearbox and front subframe as it had brand new wishbones top and bottom. Front brakes also came across as I had the smaller discs on mine. Whilst the engine was out it was treated to new belts, water pump, and clutch kit. The old one also got a complete interior strip to check for any corrosion, unsurprisingly there was some which was only visible from the inside so that got welded up and undersealed. The front arches also had a bit of rust sorted out.

With easy access it also seemed silly not to do something with the suspension, so new bushes on the front ARB, new droplinks and new AP shock/spring kit fitted all round which has made a massive difference. A subtle lowering and much better ride and handling.

All in all I am a very happy chappie. There’s still a bit to do on the body, a few scrapes that need paint, a decent polish all over and attempting to colour code the mirrors and bumper inserts, but as long as I keep away from the deep puddles this time hopefully it’s got many years left in it! Oh, I really want a red leather interior for it as well, so please let me know if you see one available. I'm willing to buy a whole car for one if necessary!

I’ve got a full set of wheels (not in great nick) plus the interior from the saloon (recaro cloth seats, the ones with electric recline) available should anybody be interested, will be on ebay tonight.

Here’s a few pics of the result:

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Reading this thread , i just want to ask , how low would the air intake be on a GT ?

There is a wonderful old country pub a few miles from me, but to reach it you have to go through a ford possibly up to about a foot deep. I suspect it would be wiser to take the slightly longer way to reach the pub which is only an extra mile.

Been through this ford many times in different cars with no problems but unwilling to in the GT for fear of the expensive consequences

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Reading this thread , i just want to ask , how low would the air intake be on a GT ?

There is a wonderful old country pub a few miles from me, but to reach it you have to go through a ford possibly up to about a foot deep. I suspect it would be wiser to take the slightly longer way to reach the pub which is only an extra mile.

Been through this ford many times in different cars with no problems but unwilling to in the GT for fear of the expensive consequences
Its low on the GT JTS, same as a 156 Twinspark just about. I'd take the long way around.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts