Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

After a visit to Dan at Penrith yesterday (where I discovered my x-plate 156 was in remarkably good condition, which is ironic given what subsequently happened) my journey back to Durham was somewhat traumatic. On my 4th different attempted route back I misjudged the depth of some water (a little embarrassing as I'm already on engine No.2 for exactly that reason) and things stopped working. Car is now outside a garage in Durham where I suspect tomorrow the death sentence will be confirmed. :depressed:

So if that is the case, does anybody have, or know of, an ageing 156 that would like a new owner? I guess alternatively anybody a dab hand at rebuilding engines would also be useful, if there is any economically sensible way of saving the existing one that would be my strong preference, the two of us go back a long way and I'd love to be able to keep it going. :classic:

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Just read this now - gutted for you! That was such a solid 156 as well.

I do have a good used 1.8 TS engine, or at least I hope its still good, as its currently sitting in at least a foot of water... :(

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, less of the "was"! It may still live...

I'll get in touch about cost of that engine plus fitting assuming it has survived the wetness. I guess it would be kind of appropriate really given what has probably killed the current one.

Hope things are generally ok flood wise - that weather was something else yesterday.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any thoughts on doing marine engine servicing for a while?!

As for mine, remarkably it seems I may have got away with it. Report today is that it was starting and running (briefly), but sounding ok, and although there was some water in the cylinders the pistons were moving fine and there didn't seem to be any major issues. Plugs, oil and filter and air filter will be changed and hopefully that will sort it.

I must confess I'm struggling to believe it could be that simple. It sounded very rough when I managed to get it going, I'm just clinging to a hope that maybe that was because it was missing a cylinder and was nothing worse. I guess it must be possible to only ingest a small amount of water (not enough to fill a combustion chamber) which would cause fairly significant issues with proper running but not cause any major damage. I'm not getting my hopes up until I'm driving the thing again though!

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mate!

Waters are back down now, the cleanup commences :(

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update on this. I now have the car back and unfortunately was right to doubt that the news was entirely positive. After plugs/oil/filters have been changed it is running fine, and seems to perform as it did previously, but it’s not right. Sounds kind of rattly/whiny, and when warm there is definite vibration which is noticeable when idling.

I don’t have a choice other than to use it because I need to get to work and back each day, so for the time being I’m driving like a granny and hoping it continues without getting any worse. 100 miles and counting so far! I don’t really have any idea if it’s likely to just happily carry on like this, or whatever is wrong/bent is going to get worse and the apparent lack of balance will cause further problems, but to be honest I can’t really see I’ve got much to lose by driving it for the time being.

Once dried out and up and running again I’ll head across to see Dan to get a proper diagnosis, assuming of course the engine lasts that long! On the subject of which, hope last night’s rain hasn’t caused any further trouble over there.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
That doesn't sound good about the vibration.. Did they do a compression test?

The water came back up the field really quickly again, but didn't get up the bank and into my yard so no problems (yet, touch wood!). I guess the ground is completely saturated and unable to flow any water away. The place stinks now, there is still 2 or 3 inch of water sitting in the pit along with loads of mud etc, not looking forward to digging all that lot out. I should think we'll be back open just after the New Year - going to take the opportunity to repaint the floor, build some new racking etc.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Quick update on this. I now have the car back and unfortunately was right to doubt that the news was entirely positive. After plugs/oil/filters have been changed it is running fine, and seems to perform as it did previously, but it’s not right. Sounds kind of rattly/whiny, and when warm there is definite vibration which is noticeable when idling.

I don’t have a choice other than to use it because I need to get to work and back each day, so for the time being I’m driving like a granny and hoping it continues without getting any worse. 100 miles and counting so far! I don’t really have any idea if it’s likely to just happily carry on like this, or whatever is wrong/bent is going to get worse and the apparent lack of balance will cause further problems, but to be honest I can’t really see I’ve got much to lose by driving it for the time being.

Once dried out and up and running again I’ll head across to see Dan to get a proper diagnosis, assuming of course the engine lasts that long! On the subject of which, hope last night’s rain hasn’t caused any further trouble over there.
A slightly bent rod sounds likely. If you're lucky and quick with replacing it (sump off, head off) you may get away without further damage to crank or bore for little more than the cost of a rod and piston from a scrap motor, bearing shells, piston rings and gaskets. I have a Merc rod in the shed, pulled from a severely hydraulic'd V8 by my son after the owner drove it through a flood. That's bent like a piece of tagliatelle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A slightly bent rod sounds likely. If you're lucky and quick with replacing it (sump off, head off) you may get away without further damage to crank or bore for little more than the cost of a rod and piston from a scrap motor, bearing shells, piston rings and gaskets. I have a Merc rod in the shed, pulled from a severely hydraulic'd V8 by my son after the owner drove it through a flood. That's bent like a piece of tagliatelle.
Thanks, that's helpful. Couple of questions, first, how would I figure out which/how many rods may have the bend issue? I'm guessing a compression test wouldn't be sufficient, is it a take bits off and visual inspection job?

Secondly, assuming parts could be found (anybody knowing a likely source please shout!), is this something I'm likely to be able to manage at home on the drive? I've done various suspension parts, oil change, handbrake cables, discs and pads, but never anything on the engine. I've got visions of bits being all over the place and no idea how to put them all back together again!

Cheers.

Edit - Having just done a bit of reading around the forum about what is required to remove the head I'm not taking that on! Very much beyond my capabilities.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after further consideration, I think I'm settled on looking for a replacement car. The engine is clearly not right, there's various other bits need doing and it's not a million miles away from needing a cam belt either. I'll keep the current one for the time being as a parts supplier (or get it stripped down if I get time), there's plenty of fairly new bits on there which will be worth a lot more that way than they are as part of the car.

My ideal scenario is a nicely looked after 156, preferably a sportwagon but that's not crucial. If anybody is looking to sell their 156 please do let me know, I'd much rather get one from someone on here who is likely to have looked after it. Any suggestions etc on where to look also gratefully received if nobody is looking to sell one at the moment. I'll bung a thread in the main 156 section as well to spread the net as wide as possible.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the promised update. Had a compression test done at Auto Lusso, from 1 to 4 readings were 160 165, 110 and 125. Clearly cylinders 3 and 4 are where the problem lies. The more positive news is that it doesn't seem likely to go bang and leave me in the lurch so it should at least keep going for the three months I have until the MOT runs out when it will fail on suspension issues.

I can't see anyway to get the engine replaced which isn't going to cost way more than makes sense. If it was something I could do at home then given the price of second hand engines that would be a decent plan, but that's certainly not something I'm taking on given that I need the car to get to work. I've therefore got three months to find a replacement, ideal scenario is a late 156 1.9. Sportwagon preferably, but that's not essential. Anyone looking to sell please let me know.

Given that I'd probably have to pay someone to take the current one away, once I've got something else I may at that point have a go at sticking a new engine in. Not like there would be a great deal to lose by that stage, and even if it all goes wrong I'll learn plenty in the process.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Not as bad, as it could have been, but bad luck anyway.

Always a few 156 SW's kicking around when I browse Ebay so hopefully you will find a decent one nearby.

And if you do decide to swap a new engine into the current one and need an engine crane/a hand give a shout as I have both available and would be happy to lend either if needed.

At least the weather will (hopefully) be better by then.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And if you do decide to swap a new engine into the current one and need an engine crane/a hand give a shout as I have both available and would be happy to lend either if needed.
That is very kind, cheers, I may well take you up on that in due course!

Re ebay, although not local (but it is close to my parents), this looks interesting: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Alfa-Romeo-1-9-Diesel-Sportswagon-/321964928291
The only real concern there is the flickering engine light, useful to get any thoughts folk might have on what that could be, although I appreciate diagnosing it over the internet is kind of impossible!

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
That is very kind, cheers, I may well take you up on that in due course!

Re ebay, although not local (but it is close to my parents), this looks interesting: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Alfa-Romeo-1-9-Diesel-Sportswagon-/321964928291
The only real concern there is the flickering engine light, useful to get any thoughts folk might have on what that could be, although I appreciate diagnosing it over the internet is kind of impossible!
If its coming and going it will be some sort of fuel/air system error, maybe EGR related, possibly boost hose, vac hose, air mass meter, manifold pressure sensor, something like that. Big errors cause the light to come on and stay on as a rule.

Looks like a good car from what I can go off, 55 plate is as pretty much as late as you can get for a 156 so the chances are the underside should still be solid. If it doesn't get much more expensive it'll be a bargain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If its coming and going it will be some sort of fuel/air system error, maybe EGR related, possibly boost hose, vac hose, air mass meter, manifold pressure sensor, something like that. Big errors cause the light to come on and stay on as a rule.

Looks like a good car from what I can go off, 55 plate is as pretty much as late as you can get for a 156 so the chances are the underside should still be solid. If it doesn't get much more expensive it'll be a bargain.
Cheers Dan, that's useful. None of those sound particularly expensive to sort out. I fear I may be starting to convince myself to buy a car I've never seen which feels a bit stupid, almost as stupid as driving through a flood when you've already ruined a previous engine driving through a flood! Still, if it doesn't get much more expensive, and if there's evidence of the new timing belt, clutch and alternator, then I guess there's not a huge amount to lose. Worse case scenario stick it back on ebay and hope to make most of the money back.
Edit to add - What's the cost to blank the EGR valve and do an appropriate remap, I figure I may as well build that in?

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Cheers Dan, that's useful. None of those sound particularly expensive to sort out. I fear I may be starting to convince myself to buy a car I've never seen which feels a bit stupid, almost as stupid as driving through a flood when you've already ruined a previous engine driving through a flood! Still, if it doesn't get much more expensive, and if there's evidence of the new timing belt, clutch and alternator, then I guess there's not a huge amount to lose. Worse case scenario stick it back on ebay and hope to make most of the money back.
Edit to add - What's the cost to blank the EGR valve and do an appropriate remap, I figure I may as well build that in?
Physical EGR delete & associated switch off in the software to prevent errors is £150.

Performance remap plus EGR switch-off and physical blank all done together is £300.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Morning all,

After a visit to Dan at Penrith yesterday (where I discovered my x-plate 156 was in remarkably good condition, which is ironic given what subsequently happened) my journey back to Durham was somewhat traumatic. On my 4th different attempted route back I misjudged the depth of some water (a little embarrassing as I'm already on engine No.2 for exactly that reason) and things stopped working. Car is now outside a garage in Durham where I suspect tomorrow the death sentence will be confirmed.
Taranty......this is what you need....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOVERCRAF...248933?hash=item3d0de704e5:g:buEAAOSw3ydVix5H

:vs_lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts